Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worst House ever?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM
  • 10 Replies

What is the worst house you have ever seen if you have ever gone house hunting?

We are looking at houses.  Let me tell you...it is interesting. The worst ones are foreclosures.  The previous owners don't bother to clean up and in one house looks as if they purposely left garbage thrown everywhere.  Nastiness!  I would think the banks would send people in to get it ready to look at.  the realtor had no idea it was that bad!  I understand in foreclosure you have to leave suddenly but come on, do it with pride.  Yes, you may lose your home, but leave with dignity.  One house, was so bad you couldn't breathe inside and the floor of one room was separating from the bottom of the wall and you could see daylight and grass from inside to outside! 

Then you go in people's homes where they are occupied or have it fixed nice and smells good. I like those..LOL.  We haven't found our perfect house yet, but I know one is out there.  We are being particular.  We know what we want and if we are going to buy it we do not want to just settle for okay. We want to love it. 

So anyone got any horror stories?

We have seen one strewn with mud and dog poop.

We have seen one with the septic backed up into the tub and you can tell while they used a plunger, they hadn't bothered to wash the tub....uh no thanks...

We have seen one literally falling apart.

etc etc.

come on share your stories..LOL.

and tell us anything else you want about house hunting...advice...tips...cautions etc.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

The 2 foreclosures we saw were the nicest houses and we would have put an offer on both but couldn't bc of stuff. Anyway we have only seen a few but the worse was probably the one on the corner lot. The yard was raised and felt like you were IN the street, the rest of the house was actually perfect but that was a deal breaker.

Thelmama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

yeah the yard has been a deal breaker on a couple of houses.  We saw one ...I LOVED.  even down to the paint and colors they used in the house, I would have not had to do a thing! But there was no yard whatsoever and the back of the house was right on top of thick thick woods that could not be played in.  sigh.....it was sooooooo pretty. Wonder why the foreclosures I saw were so bad.....glad you saw good ones...that gives me hope for foreclosed homes we look at..thanks.

poshkat
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:05 PM

i've seen some crappy looking places while we were trying to move. we are renters. too much money and trouble to buy a house in NY. i have seen places with dog and cat poop and pee everywhere, weird smells and windows so dirty you could not see outside, garbage overflowing to the point where its all over the kitchen floor. black toilets from not cleaning. some people are so gross. whenever i lived in a place and it was up for rent or sale i always cleaned my home. once i had a woman compliment me on my clean apartment.

Thelmama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:22 PM

yeah when we moved in to this rental...it was horrid.  I make sure I always clean up when we leave and leave it better than when we got it.  We lived in a house on church property when my husband was associate pastor in Florida.  The lead pastor said after we left when we called them to let them know we had arrived in our new home safely...I had left it better than any associate pastor or youth pastor had ever left it.  Made me feel good, cause he was a fussy guy..LOL.  I do NOT want to leave a home disgusting.  We have had compliments too.  We have always rented as well, except in the parsonage house in FL...but that was husband's salary is free housing and utilities.  I can't wait to have a house that is OURS..well the bank will own it but you know what I mean..LOL

AmaliaD
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:36 PM

the grossest house i have ever seen was when i was about 10 - my mom worked in insurance and had a chance to buy the gross house super cheap/ fix it up and flip it --- but heres the thing - the woman who owned the house was a "shut in"  she was afraid to leave her house after her dh died... so there were issues (like the fact that the toilet broke years ago but she wouldnt let anyone come in to fix it and rather peed in the corner.)   and she died in the house and they found out because of the smell.... so that is the GROSSESt house ever!   smells like a person died and rotted for about a week.   when home hunting we looked at a house that was only 900 sq feet... i kept looking for the rest of the house - didnt know they came that small!

Thelmama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Oh MY!  I think your story WINS as the worst house ever award up to this point.  Ewwwwww.  Poor lady dying alone but ewwwwwww.

Quoting AmaliaD:

the grossest house i have ever seen was when i was about 10 - my mom worked in insurance and had a chance to buy the gross house super cheap/ fix it up and flip it --- but heres the thing - the woman who owned the house was a "shut in"  she was afraid to leave her house after her dh died... so there were issues (like the fact that the toilet broke years ago but she wouldnt let anyone come in to fix it and rather peed in the corner.)   and she died in the house and they found out because of the smell.... so that is the GROSSESt house ever!   smells like a person died and rotted for about a week.   when home hunting we looked at a house that was only 900 sq feet... i kept looking for the rest of the house - didnt know they came that small!

kitty8199
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM

I've seen a forclosure where they cut a hole in the floor to lower the furniture, instead of taking it down the stairs.  People are pissed in a forclosure, so they do trash the house.

Christy78
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Buying my first house IN N.C I was with my sisterin law we looked at this one house and it smelled liked   pee. it was so bad I could not walk in the house.

ManaLynx
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM

OMG we saw a house like that while we were hunting last year, it was so nasty! Filled with garbage and weird miscellaneous crap (like 3 old refrigerators and a rusty motorcycle), we could barely walk in it. Plus the house itself looked like it was ready to collapse at any second. After we got home that night we did a little research and figured it would be cheaper to just raze that thing to the ground and build a brand new house than to try to even make it habitable! lol

Thelmama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

eeeeek at those houses..LOL..Yeah one place if we could have afforded it, we would have bought it because of the property and had a house built.  But that would be too expensive..LOL.  It needed razing too..LOL.

Cutting a hole to let the furniture down......CRAZY stuff!  People are weird..LOL.

Yeah if it is so bad you can't walk in, you don't  want to buy it. If you have to sanitize and decontaminate it to even walk in, it is in my childrens words "this house is a no"..LOL.

One my son said, Mama this one looks like it belongs on little house on the prairie.  Plus it smelled so like old lady it wasn't funny. It also had been added on too twice but in a weird way.  Rooms at odd places and angles...LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)