Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those with Cancer, question about metal taste

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

My mom's BFF has had cancer twice. Currently she's living with my parents 3-4 days a week. She's doing worse this time, it's in her brain. She's losing her appetite, all the foods she eats has a metallic taste to them. I was wondering if you had any tips for me to give to them on foods that would reduce the metallic taste and help her body get more nutrition. I've done a little bit of checking already on the Mayo Clinic's website.

Thanks in advance for anything you can help me with....

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Bump

yasbobari
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Im sorry! You're all doing a great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
girlygirl320
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM
Light foods with a fruity flavor. Avoid heavy fatty foods if possible. Cold beverages might taste better than warm. Maybe try fruit smoothies w vitamins added. Good luck to all of you:) Jen. (Nurse)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Thanks Jen

JordansMama2003
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Bump!

ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM

bump

MaddiesMama09
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
connorsmommy120
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:24 PM

BUMP!

ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

bump

nettesmomma
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM

It might be a side effect of medication, and if that's the case there's only so much you can do to ward it off.  However some of the best ways to subdue it a bit is to drink citrus drinks, orange lemon etc.  It'll help stimulate the saliva glands and "wash" the taste buds. Peppermint candies can also help (or pretty much anything to suck on).  If she can stomach it, she can brush her tongue with baking soda to balance the pH levels in her mouth.  Some of those homeopathy fans (my xmil) would say green tea or a herb called cats claw I'm not much for that stuff but some people prefer it...

Hope some of that helps...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)