Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your parents are divorced....

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM
  • 22 Replies

How old were you when they got divorced? Were you very upset by it?

My parents split up after 32 yrs just after Christmas....theres no divorce final but my mom won't even talk to my dad....she's not even willing to work on things.

I don't know why this is affecting me so much, I mean, it's not like I'm 10 and have to listen to them fight or decide who I want to live with, kwim???

I just want to forget about it but even I find myself crying occasionally....is that even normal or am I being way to overly emotional?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Crystallynn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I was 8 when my parents seperated and 10 when they divorced.... I really dont even remember them being together

dolphingoddess
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM

My parents divorced when I was 6 and my sister was 4.  I have to say I dont have too many memories of that other than fights that they had.  I have to say I think its worse when parents divorce with older children/adults because they understand.

What you are going through is normal..if you didnt have any feelings or emotion that would be a bit weird.  I feel your pain...im very sorry!

IrishDuckie
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM

They never got married.

Elyssa414
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:40 PM
I was 24 and pregnant. I was very upset at first, and then after the divorce they got along SO much better!! Holidays were better and everything! They eventually moved back in together but kept their finances separate which really helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellaamore
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM

My parents divorced when I was about 22, after 25 years. It destroyed me.. I couldn't figure it out.

It is completely normal to feel that way.

NattysMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I was way young and don't remember, sorry. My bio-father gave up his rights to us and never saw us again and I find myself now being curious. I LOVE my dad (my mom remarried and he adopted us) but I wonder about my bio-father and if I have half siblings that have NO idea I even exist.

raegansmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I was 2.  I really have no memories of having a mother & father in the same house.  This day, parts of it make me angry, but really what can you do?  You accept it & move forward.

jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:48 PM

It is perfectly normal to feel that way.  Your family is changing, and it doesn't matter if you are 10, 20 or 50.  I was about 8 when my parents divorced, and I hated it, but eventually realized that it was better than them fighting all the time.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I believe I was in middle school and I STILL remember my Mother running into our bedroom screaming and crying with him chasing behind her, so we were happy for the divorce and actually mad at her for trying to keep him in our lives  "because he is your father!"  We would rip up letters sent by him and hang up when he called.  He died a couple of years ago and we had not seen each other in a good 20 years, I did not shed a tear and actually felt a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.  He died never knowing he had grandchildren or that I was even married.  I am more afraid of the day when my children ask about their Mommy's daddy!

brandy.emily
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:06 PM

They divorced when I was fifteen.  I would get so mad at her for going back to him "for the kids".  Getting held up by my throat the one time I didn't do my homework and being thrown across the washer was not my idea of a healthy relationship...Let's not forget the time he pulled a knife on us.  It took her twenty years to leave, and she is still dependant on the douchebag she is currently with.  I love my mom...but I despise her decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)