Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Period like cramps a month after birth

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM
  • 13 Replies

I stopped bleeding yesterday (sorry if it's TMI for someone), and today started cramping.  Feels like mild period cramps.  Is this normal?  My mom said I may be ovulating, but I'm nursing so I am hoping to avoid the period for a while.  NO possibility of being pregnant again.  Haven't had sex.  Kinda scared to.  I'm afraid it will hurt.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkie74
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM

you can have "period like" symptoms up to 8-10 weeks after birth... that's what I was told

kitty8199
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM

They just started.  I would have thought they would have been sooner.  Ok, my doctor was shitty, so guess that is why I didn't know.

IrishDuckie
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Mine lasted for a few months. I was told it was just everything moving back into place.

MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

You are BF right? It causes your uterus to contract, it's probably just contracting, shrinking. Totally normal :)

CarmenPo
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM

You can still ovulate when your nursing, but many times crampong like that can be normal. Be aware for foul smelling blood and a fever. If those happen you should seek medical advice right away.

ShadowRaven
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

That happens even if you don't bf. :)

But I agree, completely normal.

Quoting MIA0223:

You are BF right? It causes your uterus to contract, it's probably just contracting, shrinking. Totally normal :)

caseykassidy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Your uterus is shrinking back to it's normal size, it causes cramping. It can be a long process. I don't think I felt completely normal again for nearly a year.

kitty8199
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Ok, yes I'm bf.  I just thought it was odd bc I didn't have any cramps until a month after birth.

sophistcatdfury
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM
oh my god the first period i got a month after birthing felt like labor
Honeybun09
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Quoting caseykassidy:

Your uterus is shrinking back to it's normal size, it causes cramping. It can be a long process. I don't think I felt completely normal again for nearly a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)