Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever heard of "Dippy Eggs?" (pic)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

I just saw a post on FB from my cousin about "Dippy Eggs" and I'm like wth is that? lol. So I googled it and actually looks pretty good! I bet my kids would like it. So I was just wondering if you all knew what they were? Am I the only one that was in the dark about this? lol

A hard boiled egg with a drippy yolk dipped by thin toast strips covered in butter.

....You bring the eggs to a boil and only boil them for 1-2 minutes so the white gets done but the yolk stays runny...... and butter your toast and cut it into strips to dip.

The only question I have is what are you supposed to put the egg in to keep it standing up like that? lol

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Elyce225
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM

That's not a dippy egg. A dippy egg is a sunny side up with the yolk intact, you dip the toast in the busted yolk and eat the whites. I have never heard of a dippy egg as a hard boiled, that doesn't make sense.  I grew up in Philly where the dippy egg was on menus.

JenMarie2007
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Google it. That's what I did ... and this is what came up on all the websites.

Quoting Elyce225:

That's not a dippy egg. A dippy egg is a sunny side up with the yolk intact, you dip the toast in the busted yolk and eat the whites. I have never heard of a dippy egg as a hard boiled, that doesn't make sense.  I grew up in Philly where the dippy egg was on menus.

brandy.emily
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

This is what I always thought it was.  It must be a east coast or PA thing.  When I joined the military people thought I was crazy.  I didn't even know they were eggs over easy or sunny side up ( I say eggs over easy or medium, as long as there is yolk with no clear stuff). 

Kaydence2010
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

i grew up on "egg in a cup". break up break and put it in a mug or bowl, soft boil eggs so only the whites get cooked, break shell and break up egg over toast. mix, add little salt and pepper, enjoy

Elyce225
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Oh no I believe this is what most people think but it's not a real dippy egg.  I think the other poster is right, the picture you posted is an egg in a cup.  I'm sure it has different names with different areas but on the east coast a dippy egg is not like the one you posted.  The dippy egg originated in Dutch PA and is what I said. 

If you want a delicious sandwich cook a dippy egg (the way I said), fry some pork roll and put it on the toast of your choice.  The yolk pops once you take the first bite and gets all over everything so you can re-dip it. OMG it's so good.

Quoting JenMarie2007:

Google it. That's what I did ... and this is what came up on all the websites.

Quoting Elyce225:

Elyce225
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Quoting brandy.emily:

Quoting Elyce225:

This is what I always thought it was.  It must be a east coast or PA thing.  When I joined the military people thought I was crazy.  I didn't even know they were eggs over easy or sunny side up ( I say eggs over easy or medium, as long as there is yolk with no clear stuff). 

That is so funny, when I moved to VA I ordered a dippy egg from a diner and everyone just stopped and looked at me like I had two heads.  I didn't know what they were called until three years ago when my DH had to order for me, three sunny side ups well done hahahaha.  I also ordered a hoagiedown here, whew people really laughed at me. I was out with a couple of friends and asked where the nearest water(wudder) ice stand is and they thought I was crazy.   Pa/Philly is it's own little world. I had no idea how unique it was until I moved out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)