Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disability?? PIOG

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

So I have this friend who is my age and she recently applied for disability.  Now, I know she has a few medical issues.  She was what we called a 'test tube baby or water baby' back in school.  She had to get liquid drained from her head in like 2nd or 3rd grade.  It usually starts out with a headache when her issues flare up.  She's been out of work over a year now because she's trying to get disability.  We've been friends since kindergarten but kind of drifted after I had Naeem.   Not to mention she used me wayyy too many times.   I *get* she has medical problems occassionally.  But it's not an everyday thing.  She doesn't even take medicine unless it's a flare up (I guess that's what I can call it).  In the past she has quit her job more than I change underwear but this last time she's been out of work over a year.   A few months back she was discussing looking for a job and now she's saying she's waiting on disability.   She is 27 no kids living at home with her parents.   How hard would it be for someone like her to get disability?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.MommieAJ.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Bump..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM

It depends upon the actual medical diagnosis. If she has a chronic debilitating condition that warrants disability, and can prove that she resides with her parents because she does not have stable enough income to live on her own...then she may very well get disability.

TennesseesSuga
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Idk but i have seen people get it for alot less i mean fluid on your brain sounds like a big deal to me

blsdbyangel07
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM

She lives with her family because she can't afford to live on her own.  She quit her last job due to hours and pay.  The hours part I can semi understand because she worked over night in the wee hours of morning.  I know she has a serious medical issue as i've witnessed it in her past. 

Quoting SusanD:

It depends upon the actual medical diagnosis. If she has a chronic debilitating condition that warrants disability, and can prove that she resides with her parents because she does not have stable enough income to live on her own...then she may very well get disability.

blsdbyangel07
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Yep it is serious.  But I figured it had to interfer with working in order to get it.  She hasn't had any issues until now that she's been out of a work a year or so.  Which is why I was curious how hard it is to get it these days.  So i've heard most cases they deny the first time.

Quoting TennesseesSuga:

Idk but i have seen people get it for alot less i mean fluid on your brain sounds like a big deal to me

koolstepmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM

She had to be diagnosed with an illness and file for disability and if she is denied then she had to appeal it with until she gets approved.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM
If she worked a year ago fine, she probably could work now. Too many people want diability now. Too lazy. We won't have enough working to pay disability
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zanny
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

My friend Amy was on SSI for being a diabetic...

She passed away from complications at age 37.... She was always in and out of the hospital

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Does this mean you haven't changed your underwear in over a year? 

LiesLiesLies
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM

It really depends.

I could get it...but I choose not to. 

I have pretty serious issues.

Some days I can live a 100% normal life...some days I cant...which is one of the many reasons I don't work. Even if she only has a flare up every now and then...its going to be hard for her to handle serious employment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)