Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hamsters

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM
  • 63 Replies

Will someone please share the good, the bad and the ugly about having a pet hamster with me?  My kids have been begging for a small pet and we had narrowed it down to a reptile and then they decided on a hamster.  The start up cost of a hamster would be a fraction of the cost... A reptile would need a special cage, special lighting, etc... but DH is so worried that a hamster will stink.  Any info will be appreciated.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zanny
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I'm not big on Hamsters, or any other rodent...

My friend's kids have the, and they last about a year-2...

they let them run all over the house in this little ball thingy

activitymode
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Hamsters suck. We have two females and they are dirty little creatures lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firelite35
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Hi!  I was also contemplating getting a small pet for my son...... I had asked around about a hamster and some people told me they were good pets but then a friend of mine that works at a pet store said that hamsters are not very social overall, can bite/nip and dont really make a good first pet. They said that guniea pigs make MUCH better small pets. They are friendly, social, dont bite and love to be held. So I thought I would let you know...........  I dont think that hamsters stink all that much but they can be VERY MOODY- and can tend to nip at any time..........

Kimbkay
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM
They don't smell if u keep there cage clean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimbkay
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Yeah guinea pig would be better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_911
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Changing the bedding and cleaning the cage is a pain...it does smell.
They only live a few years and you have to be VERY careful to only have one in a cage or be completely sure they are the same sex..I had an accidental hamster infestation once...it sucked lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adri_nevarez
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Thanks all!  We have ducks outside and a yorkie inside.  The yorkie is my baby, she sticks with me and the ducks have lost interest in the kids.  They are full grown now and do their own thing.  I am really hoping they forget this new pet idea.  I am all for kids having pets, but I am clueless about what small pet to get.  As for guinea pigs, don't their cages have to be much larger?

Alison_C
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Well, if you get more than one, make sure you keep them in separate cages even if they tell you they're same sex. My friend ended up with 2 litters, totaling 20-something hamsters, before she was able to take them back to the store. The were both supposed to be female. Haha, I still tease her about it.

adri_nevarez
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, I know a lady who bought two female hamsters for her son... She then had to find home for 12 baby hamsters.  Her kids were so mad at her, they wanted to keep them all lol!  I think we would do fine with one hamster... I don't think they require a cagemate.

Quoting Alison_C:

Well, if you get more than one, make sure you keep them in separate cages even if they tell you they're same sex. My friend ended up with 2 litters, totaling 20-something hamsters, before she was able to take them back to the store. The were both supposed to be female. Haha, I still tease her about it.

gypsy30
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:10 PM

My son wanted a hamster 5 years ago.  Okay, we'll get him a hamster.  We go to the pet store and the clerk there tells us that rats make the best small pets.  They had a bunch of brown hooded ones for sale.

I was freaked out!  No way was I getting a RAT.  They were cute, but it was a RAT.  After listening to what the salesperson said about rat vs. hamster, we bought a rat.  It was the best little pet I ever had!  I fell in LOVE w/ it.  She was so much fun, and such a good little companion and when she died (they only have a lifespan of about 2-3 years), I bought another one.

Hamster stink.  Rats don't.  Despite people's perception of them, they are very, very clean.  Hamsters bite, rats don't.

They actually have a personality.  I would let mine out of her cage and she followed me all around the house.  She loved to play and cuddle and ate things out of my hand.  I fed her vegetables and fruit.  Actually, she ate what we did for dinner, but she wasn't big on meat.  She came when I called her.  She was like a little tiny puppy.  She spent more time out of her cage than in it.  You can't play w/ hamsters.  Rats are very trainable.

Just something to think about.  My last rat died a few months ago, and I have been thinking about getting another one but I'm allergic to them.  (I found this out after I got my first one, but I enjoyed her so much that I still got another one).

They don't get real big, but they do get a little bit bigger than a hamster.  My first one was a fat little thing.  My second one not so much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)