Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is wrong with the legal system?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM
  • 37 Replies

Ok, on the news was a lady who left her 5 month old baby cousin in the car, and went to work.  Poor baby dies.  She gets charged with manslaughter.  Here manslaughter carries a MAXIMUM of ONE year!  So, you can kill someone and get less time than if got caught with a bag of pot.  That poor baby died, because she "forgot" the kid was in the car, and she may not even get one year.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ariellasmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM
Dang that's awful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM

The kicker is she works at a daycare.  She said she isn't used to caring for the child.  So, that being said the carseat in the back seat should have clued you in if it is not normally there!

LyTe684
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:29 AM
Sickening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM
That is horrible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:16 AM
That is so so awful :(

that poor child!

But I'm not sure I think she deserves to rot in prison for years.. This wasn't intentional, she wasn't drunk or purposfully neglectful.. things happen, people get busy and forget. She didn't plop the baby in a tub of water and leave it there to play on facebook.. she buckled baby safely
in the car seat, thugs were on her
mind and she forgot. She is probably devistated and feels more guilt than we could ever know.

I think jail should be used to protect society.. not stick people in who piss us off. She's not a danger to society or children. She probably loves children. And she made an awful awful mistake.

I wouldn't forget my kids because they've been attached to my hip since birth.. but I can't help imagine putting myself in her shoes.. if I wasn't use to caring for a baby, put her in the back seat.. Started my usual drive to work planning on dropping baby off on the way, but baby falls asleep not making a peep, the work day ahead is on your mind, personal issues at home is on your
mind.. You get to work, jump out and punch in.. And just forget :(

it's tragic no matter what happens
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

The worst punishment is living with it every day.  Prison can't do that. 

ginabear1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Agree

Quoting atlmom2:

The worst punishment is living with it every day.  Prison can't do that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarShy740
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM
Idk how anyone can forget there would be a child in your car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:16 AM
I ask myself how I possibly forgot the water running in the kitchen sink when I came put of the kids room from putting away laundry only to see my kitchen floor emersed in soapy water. Ack! It was a nightmare to clean up. How, how, how did I forget I was filling up that sink?

I ask myself how I forgot the god damn groceries in the van all afternoon only to rush outside in hopes that they aren't completely spoiled from the heat.. damn it! There goes 80 dollars worth
of organic produce that should have been refrigerated as soon as we
got home *sigh*

shit happens.. We get busy and we
make mistakes.. sometimes these
mistakes piss us off a little
and sometimes they change our lives
forever

Quoting MarShy740:

Idk how anyone can forget there would be a child in your car
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM

screwy isn't it?  i had a high school friend who had his head bashed in by his brother.  he only got a 5-7 yr sentance & was out in like 4.  one of my nephews was in car with a friend who had more than a personal amount of xtasy on him & my newphew got a 3-5 sentence & was out in 2.  my newphes truely didn't know what the guy had on him, he only drank & smoked pot on occasion & the judge actually went "light on him" because she believed him.

i've heard of people getting harsher punishments for animal abuse.  she forgot the child was with her, that's what they all say when it happens, which seems to be way too much lately.  if she forgot her dog in the heat or cold with no food or water she could be charged with animal abuse for neglecting the dog.  didn't she neglect the child by forgetting about it?  why would it be any different than if she forgot & left the child at home & something happened to it there? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)