Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This would be my worst nightmare........

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM
  • 25 Replies

Cindy Leturno peered into her upstairs bathroom's toilet bowl this morning -- and saw a snake's black head slithering toward her.

"I saw it, but I didn't want to believe it," said the 54-year-old North Hopewell Township resident. "It kept coming out."

Leturno's toilet had overflowed that morning, and after using a plunger and a metal "snake" unsuccessfully, she hopped on the Internet for some help.

Her husband, Larry, had already left their home in the 14000 block of Winterstown Road for work.

She found some suggestions on the Internet, but also a warning: Sometimes clogged toilets are caused by snakes traveling up the pipes, who have been known to come all the way out.

"Yeah, right," Leturno said to herself.

Back in her bathroom, Leturno plunged some more, paused, and saw the snake slowly creeping up from the bowl's depths.

"It had to be at least 4 feet long," she said. "It had to be over an inch thick."

Backing away, Leturno closed the bathroom door and called her plumber. She also armed herself with a wooden dowel, in case the snake tried to slide underneath the door.

She also called 911, who sent North Hopewell Township Police Chief Larry Bailets Sr. to her home.

When Leturno's plumber arrived, along with an assistant, the two began searching for the snake. They were soon joined by Bailets, who helped with the search.

They looked in the tub, they looked in the pile of towels Leturno had used to mop up the water that had overflowed, and they looked in a small storage alcove in the bathroom, but couldn't find the snake.

"She was scared, as many people are," Bailets said. "I don't particularly like them myself."

Bailets got Leturno in touch with Terry Hemler of Hemler Animal Control in Codorus Township, but Hemler told her it wouldn't do any good for him to come out if the snake could not be found, she said.

Hemler's wife, Joyce, who fields assignments for him, said that, in all likelihood, the snake is a black snake.

"It'll bite you, but it's not poisonous," she said. "It's a good snake to have -- it keeps the mouse population down -- but some people get the heebie-jeebies when they see a snake."

She said it's really not unusual for snakes to find their way into people's homes, especially in a lot of rural areas where old houses have stone foundations, which allow for spaces through snakes can crawl.

Leturno said her home was built nearly 100 years ago.

However, after Bailets and the plumbers left, Leturno was more concerned with if the snake was still there, rather than how it got in.

"I cannot stand snakes at all," she said. "I'm still sort of in a panic here. . . . I'm sitting here wondering, where is this thing going to show up?"

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steveiguana
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

but some people get the heebie-jeebies when they see a snake."   I would have to admit this is me I would never be able to go to the bathroom there again.

LyTe684
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:45 PM
I would have passed the eff out. *shivers*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steveiguana
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Quoting LyTe684:

no joke me too

MIA0223
by Michelle on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM
normal in DE. Lol! My sisters bed was under the attic door in the ceiling, it never closed all the way. She had a black snake fall on her face while she was sleeping! Thats a nightmare!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oneluckymom22
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM
Uh...yea...

Quoting LyTe684:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM

gross

HitMe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Stevei no to snakes any place in my life. Now you caused me to start looking around for snake. Yikes! 

steveiguana
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Quoting HitMe:

Stevei no to snakes any place in my life. Now you caused me to start looking around for snake. Yikes! 

sorry they freak me out too my kids are lauging at me as we saw one while driving the car the other day and I freaked out I know some love snakes but I just feel my skin crawl at the thought of one.

canelamami
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:44 AM

I've heard of this happening, and every time I sit on the toilet this thought pops into my head!

PinaiAngelPai15
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM
& everyone makes fun of me for being terrified of the bathroom.......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)