Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News article on my dd's HS drug testing program

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:18 PM
  • 13 Replies

Tests seem to deter drug use

More than half of 733 Arrowhead High School students polled said that random drug testing at the school had kept them from using any kind of drugs.

At a June meeting, Arrowhead School Board members reviewed the results of the survey, which indicated 59 percent of students polled did not use any drugs because of the random tests. Thirty-six percent of those polled said they had friends that did not use drugs because of the high school's drug testing program.

During the 2010-11 school year, 15 students out of 180 tested positive for some kind of drug - seven of those tested positive for nicotine use (cigarettes), while six tested positive for a combination of marijuana and nicotine, and two were using marijuana.

The school's random testing program tests students involved in extracurricular activities such as athletics or the performing arts. Those who are not involved in any school activities go untested, but as North Campus Associate Principal Pete Nejedlo pointed out at the meeting, the most hard-core drug users are usually not involved in a slate of extracurricular activities.

"Some of our hard-core kids that we know are involved in drugs are not in the pool because they've never been involved in any extracurriculars," he told the School Board, later adding, "This is a huge argument for getting involved, right here."

Because the testing has to be random, the school cannot force students who are known drug users to submit urine samples unless they are involved in extracurriculars. Students who refuse to take a drug test are barred from participating in those activities.

"It has to be random. You can't target," Nejedlo explained at the meeting.

In a survey of Arrowhead seniors, 30 percent felt that the high school tested the right number of people, while 29 percent thought the school did not test enough. Some 38 percent felt that Arrowhead had a drug and alcohol problem.

A full 63 percent of the seniors said that that the school should have more students in the random drug test pool, not just athletes and other performers.

With the survey results in mind, the board discussed the idea of including the school's drivers. The board also acted to purchase saliva drug screeners, which allows staff to test students suspected of being under the influence of drugs during the school day.

The school has the authority to act on reasonable suspicion and administer a saliva test if a student appears to be under the influence, which would help combat against those students that are not involved in extracurricular activities and not a part of the testing pool.

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:33 PM

That is awesome!  It seems to be working really well, I don't know why all schools don't do this.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Hmm. I'd think if they really cared about the students they'd test all, not just those involved in extra-curricular activities. So it really has nothing to do with helping the child? 

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Excellent idea IF they can test anyone and everyone !

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Well, the thing is the only punishment is they are thrown off their sports or extra curricular activity so to test anyone else, yes their parents are informed, but that would be it. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM

My oldest got tested 2 times in the same year.  My youngest hasn't gotten tested ever and she will be a senior.  Its all lottery.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Most people on here bitched IF it was going to be everyone and disagreed.  Actually a lot on here disageed totally with it. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Excellent idea IF they can test anyone and everyone !

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

slm047
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM

hm.. I'm not sure how I feel about this. One, they are only testing those who participate in activities. And two, why the hell do some parents rely on schools to teach and watch their kids concerning sexual education and drugs?

Elyce225
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Quoting slm047:

hm.. I'm not sure how I feel about this. One, they are only testing those who participate in activities. And two, why the hell do some parents rely on schools to teach and watch their kids concerning sexual education and drugs?

Who said anything about the school teaching the kids not to do drugs?  They are testing them to try and stop them from doing drugs.   Is a parent of a high school-er supposed to follow them around everywhere to make sure they don't do drugs, that is impossible.  Do you think all kids are going to stop and think "oh my mom said I shouldn't do this" or "oh the school might pick me on Monday and I will get kicked off of the soccer team".  That is why I think it's a great idea.

RissyLee
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Where are you at?  My old high school has started or will be starting this.

danie24
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:58 AM

This is great. If only they didn't discriminate. If I was a student who participated in extracurricular activities (which I did) I would be protesting.

They should be testing ALL students.. or at least putting ALL of the students into the lottery. And if you test positive for drugs you don't pass/graduate.

Or maybe have testing at each semester.. and let them off with a warning that if they test positive again next semester they won't pass/graduate.

I also think they should be testing for all drugs. Nicotine included.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)