• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on building a swing set vs buying Rainbow or Woodplay

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

Does anyone here have a swing set that you built yourself with wood from a local lumber yard?  I would like to know if you have had any trouble with it rotting, splitting or causing splinters?  We are thinking about building one but my MIL has offered to buy a new redwood swing set. Those are so expensive and I don't think we would ever be able to afford to add on monkey bars or another slide in the future because of how expensive those additions are.  But if we build our own we can make it exactly what we want and can add on more affordably in the future when our kids are old enough for those things.  We're just not sure about the difference in redwood vs treated wood from the lumber yard and if we'll run into problems in a few years if we go the local route. I would love to hear about your experiences with either custom-built sets using local wood or redwood brands like Rainbow or Woodplay.

Thanks so much!

Shannon

PS: This is my first post on CafeMom so if I put this in the wrong group please let me know!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mackQuin
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

my neighbor has one they built and its gorgeous! it has a slide; and monkey bars and a swing bar. it even has a tunnel.

we got one from lowes. theirs looks so much nicer.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I'd look on Craigslist.

We got our swing set for free. It was a $2000 swing set with 3 swings, monkey bars, a trapeze, climbing wall, slide and fort with wooden roof, and a picnic table attached and an underneath play area.

smelton521
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM
I have been looking at Craigslist but unfortunately we live in a very rural area so it is really hard to find anything on there within a reasonable travel distance. We are over 2 hours from any major metropolitan area and even those cities are rather small.
michelles
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Ours is actually a hand-me-down that we have had for 6 years and the otehr owners had it for 2-3 years. The set was bought as the swings, slide and teeter-totter...then the wood is pressure treated wood that was bought at Lowes or Home Depost...can't remember which one it was bought at! As I stated before, this swing is at least 7-8 years old (if not older) and we haven't had any problem with the wood...no breaking, rotting, splintering. The only problem we have had is the swings...we have replaced the chains several time because of rust! This swing has also been moved from original owners house to ours (45 mins. away) and taken apart and put back together!

fairymom2316
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I'm not sure which wood you should use so I am no help, LOL! =)

kitty8199
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Have you tried ehow?  Maybe they can tell you how to make it.

smelton521
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM

There are kits you can buy with all the hardware to put it together, the swings, slides, etc. and very detailed plans showing you what size wood you need, other supplies needed, and how to build it.  We would go that route if we were to build one.  Those who have built one or who know people with swing sets they built from local wood - is the wood stained dark to look like the sets at Cosco or Rainbow/Woodplay etc?  Or is it natural wood color (light-colored)?  If you stained it or know people who stained it dark, did it fade really quickly?  I really like the look of the darker stained sets but don't know if it's worth the time and money if it's just going to fade really fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)