Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help!! need opinions on Xbox or Playstation!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM
  • 16 Replies

Good morning ladies,

I am seriously thinking about getting either an Xbox or a Playstation for a family Christmas present this year, currently we have an old playstation 2 system and a WII,

I have no idea what would be the better choice!?!    I have two boy's who are six and four, I also have a husband that is a moderate game player.  I'm not really into video games, I do understand that these system's can stream net flix and play DVD's.

What would be the best way to go? I have no clue?

Thank you for any help and opinions.

simple smile

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM

we have the ps3. my six year old loves it...he got it for christmas last year and let me tell you it was a great choice. we also had the ps2 . my brother in law got his family an xbox for christmas and has already returned it twice due to issues it has had.

jillbailey26
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM

We have an Xbox and love it.  I don't know how Playstation works, but with Xbox you have to have Xbox Live ($9.99/mo) in order to stream Netflix or play online with other players.  All of the people we would play with play on Xbox, so that's why we got it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

JessicaEOH
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM
I wouldn't get either one as they're not as family friendly as the nintendo consoles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Quoting JessicaEOH:

I wouldn't get either one as they're not as family friendly as the nintendo consoles.

Of course they are.  There are kid games for every system.  We just downloaded Kinectamals for Xbox.  There's also a Sonic game, sports and dance games for the Kinect.  Then there's games you can download and games you can buy.  My boys love Ghostbusters, so they play that whenever they have a chance.  They also play all of the Lego games.  Lego Batman, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Star Wars.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Sweets27
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM
I have an xbox. My boys are 2 and 6 and they love it. We have the kinect with the xbox and its great. You don't need a controller to play dancing games,exercising games etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Quoting JessicaEOH:

I disagree...XBOX 360 is very family friendly when you add the Kinect. There are tons of family games. We have an XBOX 360 and got the Kinect when it came out last year. It rivals the Wii and is actually rated higher than a Wii now. 

My 3 yr old and 5 yr olds can play the Kinect with no problems at all...we have the Outdoor Adventures, Sports, Kinectimals, Dance Central, Your Shape and Joy Ride. We are going to be adding the Sesame Street game as well as a couple of other games at Christmas. 

We are thinking of getting a PS3 as well so that we can play Blu-rays since it will stream Netflix ( which we can already do with the XBOX), play Blu-ray, and have a wider array of games to play. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I would get the XBOX 360 with the kinnect. It will keep everyone VERY active since it is the only system to use the entire body!

Sunkitty
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone,  It look's like I might be leaning towards the Ps3, only because I don't want to pay extra to stream net flix...If I'm correct in thinking that you pay extra on an Xbox??

I'm pretty sure the kids will still play with the WII we can just hook it up to the Tv in the basement....so I'm not that worried about interactive Kinect games...

It just seem's like there's more to offer family wise for the PS3..As in Blue ray player and net flix??

HeartofGold
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM

The playstation has more game choices and I believe are more kid oriented then the x-box.

Two christmas's ago I was facing the same decision. I went with the playstation as I felt there were more games for it that were appropriate for my son's age. Last Christmas I did buy the x-box for my daughter as she is 12 years older then my son.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

HeartofGold
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM

My daughter streams netflix through her x-box and it doesn't cost anything more.

Quoting Sunkitty:

Thanks everyone,  It look's like I might be leaning towards the Ps3, only because I don't want to pay extra to stream net flix...If I'm correct in thinking that you pay extra on an Xbox??

I'm pretty sure the kids will still play with the WII we can just hook it up to the Tv in the basement....so I'm not that worried about interactive Kinect games...

It just seem's like there's more to offer family wise for the PS3..As in Blue ray player and net flix??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the group owner of the following groups:

Oregon Moms

August 2005 Birth Club

Car Seat Safety

Antidepressants

Women with Fibroids

If one or more of my groups are of interest to you please click on the link above and join today....see ya there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)