Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So mean, I don't understand it. Cat hoarding.

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM
  • 6 Replies

A Florida couple has been charged with 47 counts of animal cruelty after authorities seized nearly 700 cats from their Haven Acres Cat Sanctuary in June.

The Humane Society called it "the biggest case of cat hoarding," the group had ever seen, according to News4Jax.

In June, authorities seized more than 700 cats from the "sanctuary," after the county had warned Pennie and Steven Lefkowitz that they were only allowed to care for 100 cats. A hundred of the cats had to be euthanized because their diseases were so severe, according to local TV station WCJB. University of Florida veterinary students are spaying and neutering the remaining cats and hope to hold an adoption drive at the end of the month.

"These people started out well intentioned, but they were in way, way, way over their head," State Attorney Bill Cervone told The Gainesville Sun. "I am optimistic we will be able to resolve something with them that will address the mental health issues that I believe they have and prevent a recurrence."

By the couple's own account, they started taking on cats en masse as a humanitarian cause. "I was just tired of seeing so much euthanasia and wanted to know what we could do personally," Pennie Lefkowitz said in June, according to News4Jax.

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
poshkat
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM

thats digusting and sad for the cats. i guess i dont understand hoarding in itself at all and i dont believe its a "mental" disease.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Wow!!!! I thought my dh's aunt was crazy with cats.She has 47 last time I knew.

sharebearII
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I understand hoarding.   It's not a mental disease.

They got in over their heads and then couldn't make the hard decisions that they needed to.   Couldn't afford the vet care bill, and then didn't have the balls to take them in to animal control authorities...    Sad.

sharebearII
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Quoting momofsixangels:

Wow!!!! I thought my dh's aunt was crazy with cats.She has 47 last time I knew.

I know a VETERINARIAN who has about 200...  

Breeding them to be 7 toed too, I hear.  She's not just taking in homeless cats, she's actually making more.   

Now that's sick!

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Every person on that hoarding show was traumatized somehow in childhood, or adulthood where they started to hoard.  One lady her parents got rid of everything and never let her keep anything, SO as an adult she couldn't get rid of anything, garbage, food or otherwise!!!! 

sharebearII
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Every person on that hoarding show was traumatized somehow in childhood, or adulthood where they started to hoard.  One lady her parents got rid of everything and never let her keep anything, SO as an adult she couldn't get rid of anything, garbage, food or otherwise!!!! 

I've never seen that show.   Sounds pretty freaky though...

With animals it's different, I think.   These ppl must have started out as a rescue-type thing and probably spent too much on housing, litter, and food and forgot to set aside ALOT of money for vet care.  Eventually a communicable disease gets in and POW!  Everyone is sick, you don't have enough money for everything anymore and down it all comes like a house of cards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)