• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have any friends who...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

always say the wrong thing? I've got a friend who has a daughter one month younger than my second daughter and she never seems to realize that what she is saying is hurtful/irritating/just plain useless. Anytime I tried to vent to her about my youngest (now 18 months) she didn't seem to understand that I was REALLY looking for a little encouragement. Georgia (my DD2) was a crappy sleeper until 15 months, she has got terrible GERD and I swear, she is the world's pickiest eater. If I got together with this friend after a particularly rough night of GERD/sleeplessness and I mentioned it she would talk about how her Ava has been sleeping through the night since they brought her home and how she also has "GERD" but she never cries (Ok?) because of it. Now don'tcha think if someone you were good friends with was having a rough day you'd try your hardest to tell her it'll all be over soon, you'll get through this, hang in there, etc? Why rub it in that YOUR kid does XYZ better? As for her daughter having GERD, she said the pedi prescribed Ranitidine for her and she only used it for a little while and when it ran out it, she just never refilled it. I am sorry, but that sounds like a crock of BS to me. Georgia had reflux so bad she didn't gain a single ounce for 3 weeks when she turned 2 months old. The poor baby would throw up BLOOD because of it. We have been using the Ranitidine for a long, long time and it's really helped Georgia a lot! I know a lot of babies react badly to it, but we're lucky and it works! But we still had really crappy nights. It feels like she's trying to say she's better than me because her baby has always slept well, her GERD magically up and disapperaed and she eats really well. My first daughter slept well, didn't have GERD and still to this day as a 3 year old eats REALLY well. I didn't do anything differently with the second baby. Just luck of the draw.

I don't know, I just feel like people should be smart enough to know when you're just making a person feel worse about something than they already do.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
discokittten
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Man, I guess everyone has way nicer friends than me!

lauracb10
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM
I'm sorry you have friend that is blind to what u need..... talk to her about it. She may not realize what she is doing....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Maybe the friend just doesn't realize it.

I am kind of that way.  I don't really comprehend when one is venting (unless it's really really blunt).  It's not to be mean at all and afterwards, a few hours later I think about it and say to myself "ohh I guess I shouldn't have said X cause that might make her feel bad".  It's not my intention to hurt though.

Just the other day an old friend sent me a picture of his kids and my reply was "aww I didn't know your second kid had Down Syndrome".  His reply was "he doesn't".  I didn't say it to be mean but afterwards I realized I shouldn't have said it at all, kwim?

onefootcutiepie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Elyce225:

I am kind of that way.  I don't really comprehend when one is venting (unless it's really really blunt).  It's not to be mean at all and afterwards, a few hours later I think about it and say to myself "ohh I guess I shouldn't have said X cause that might make her feel bad".  It's not my intention to hurt though.

Just the other day an old friend sent me a picture of his kids and my reply was "aww I didn't know your second kid had Down Syndrome".  His reply was "he doesn't".  I didn't say it to be mean but afterwards I realized I shouldn't have said it at all, kwim?

Yikes Elyce!

Elyce225
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

Quoting Elyce225:

Yikes Elyce!

I know, I felt horrible.  He was fine and laughed about it, he knows that I am kind of stupid when it comes to things like that.   He also said I am the third person to ask him that though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)