Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son may have adhd. Need advice

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'm about to have my son tested for add and adhd. It runs in his fathers side and he's been showing a number of signs.
Such as his attention span and temper.
What can I do to help him?
Activities? Schedules?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kitty8199
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Not to be offensive.  This is an honest question.  Do you adequately discipline him.  A lot of times lack of discipline is mistaken for ADHD.  Sometimes gifted children are as well.  They get bored in school.

antoinettegts
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM
I feel like I'm having to discipline all the time. Time outs, spankings, taking things away... I'm running out of ideas. I don't have these problems with his younger brother. I even hear it from his teachers at daycare. They say I need to have him tested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I'd try a diet change first.  Just google ADHD diet, and see if it helps.  I would really not want to medicate my child.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM

put him on a strict diet and remove a lot of what you are most likely feeding him.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM

My 16 year old has severe ADHD and we tried every thing under the sun, as far as discipline went. After a couple of years of really struggling with him, I did some research on things that could help children like him and what we found that truly worked was an overhaul on his diet. We switched to eating organic foods and stayed away from artificial colors, HFCS, MSG, nitrates/nitrites and anything that wasn't natural. Talk about a turn around. He still has his moments and we deal with them but getting rid of the fake shit was a huge improvement. MSG and artificial colors can work a number on the brain, especially in children.

We also incorporated more good fats into his diet, which help with brain function.

We use a behavior chart as well as a "boot camp" style of parenting.

If he gets into trouble, he has to do physical labor as part of his discipline routine. If he does what is asked of him, he is rewarded through stickers and the stickers are how he earns privileges.

You have to be super consistent and strict when it comes to kids with ADHD. I don't mean be a complete hard ass but be firm and don't give in, ever.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Is your child in any type of sports? If not, I would get him into something physical.

I would also have him to something physical in the morning, once he gets up and gets awake, and do it before he goes to school/daycare.

Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Also check into what the signs for Aspergers are

antoinettegts
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM
What all did the organic entail?
What specific types of food were cut out? Added?

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

My 16 year old has severe ADHD and we tried every thing under the sun, as far as discipline went. After a couple of years of really struggling with him, I did some research on things that could help children like him and what we found that truly worked was an overhaul on his diet. We switched to eating organic foods and stayed away from artificial colors, HFCS, MSG, nitrates/nitrites and anything that wasn't natural. Talk about a turn around. He still has his moments and we deal with them but getting rid of the fake shit was a huge improvement. MSG and artificial colors can work a number on the brain, especially in children.

We also incorporated more good fats into his diet, which help with brain function.

We use a behavior chart as well as a "boot camp" style of parenting.

If he gets into trouble, he has to do physical labor as part of his discipline routine. If he does what is asked of him, he is rewarded through stickers and the stickers are how he earns privileges.

You have to be super consistent and strict when it comes to kids with ADHD. I don't mean be a complete hard ass but be firm and don't give in, ever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
antoinettegts
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM
He's not into anything physical yet other than playing.
He starts pre k next wk and with that swimming lessons. I'm looking into karate as well. Both are offered at his pre k center.
Next yr I want to start put him in tennis and piano as well.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Is your child in any type of sports? If not, I would get him into something physical.

I would also have him to something physical in the morning, once he gets up and gets awake, and do it before he goes to school/daycare.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
antoinettegts
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM
What's aspergers?

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

Also check into what the signs for Aspergers are

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)