Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How in the world can you afford to......

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM
  • 80 Replies

keep your children or child in sports or other activities? They are so damn expensive. Monthly costs, uniforms, special events, travel to games or special ceremonies. Plus all the driving to this or that, having to provide snacks for some things and having to pay for tickets to some events. Who the hell can afford all that plus pay your rent nd bills? Must be nice if you can, seriously.

My daughter wants so badly to do karate or kung fu, and girl scouts or softball. I feel so awful telling her we just cant. I think its unfair to make these things so costly. I am not saying they should all be free but geez, can we a least make it possible for most of us?

Just my little vent for today.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

This is the first year that we were able to sign one of ours up for a sport.  He picked baseball.  It was about $200 total after we signed up and bought the gear he needed.  Talk to their school to see if there are some organizations you can sign up with to maybe save a little money on it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LadyFelicity
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Girl Scouts have always been free or a $1 dues as far as I know. At least any I have ever been in or worked with.

nodramamama311
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Wow, w couldnt even spend that much right now but I will check at school to see what they offer. She starts on Monday.

Quoting jillbailey26:

This is the first year that we were able to sign one of ours up for a sport.  He picked baseball.  It was about $200 total after we signed up and bought the gear he needed.  Talk to their school to see if there are some organizations you can sign up with to maybe save a little money on it.

jillbailey26
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Yea, he's 7 and this is the first year we could do it too, lol.  We haven't been able to afford it either.  We always have signs for different organizations outside of their school for signups.  I know not everywhere is the same, but it's worth a try.  

Quoting nodramamama311:

Wow, w couldnt even spend that much right now but I will check at school to see what they offer. She starts on Monday.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I was a poor single mom when they were 11 & 8 and on. They were involved in everything. We went without alot of other 'normal' things, so they could participate in any activity they wanted. We didn't have cable tv, computer, cells. We heated the house with wood only. We ate very little, and alot of it was from the farm down the street or things I could make. They never had 'name brand' anything. We never had video games. You can guess our electric bill was pretty low by going without, haha. But mostly? I wasn't afraid or ashamed to tell the school that they wanted these things and I couldn't do it. The school allowed them by way of 'grants and scholarships'. Same with the YMCA/YWCA. Their friends parents did alot of driving. For sporting equipment....hand me down equipment. They were able to participate in everything.  

82ndairbornewif
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM
Its costly. Its a big priority for us as a family though. Both boys are playing soccer right now its deff. Spendy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I know this is going to sound snobby no matter how I say it and I swear I don't mean it that way.  It amazes me more that people can't afford something like that.  I was a a young, poor, single mom and my son was in at least two different activities at that time.  I was worried more about time than money.  I got a second job so he could go to a great school and do sports etc.  If there is a will there is a way.

This year he is going to sign up for Track and an Art class (outside of school).  My three year old is going to be in indoor soccer and my two year old wants to go into dance.  They all start in September.

MommyOfOne2710
by Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM
My family never had absolutely any money to spare for sports, and they were around $100. When you struggle trying to stay afloat, sports definitely aren't a priority.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I was going to sign my son up for Karate but it is too costly this year for me. Maybe next year, I hear ya momma everything is costing a lot of money!

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Schools and organizations usually have help for low income.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)