Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow. Some women are so repulsive.

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
  • 383 Replies

What's your deepest, darkest secret? Moms confess in our survey

By Rebecca Dube

Every mom has a secret.

"I cry myself to sleep sometimes because I am overwhelmed and I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about it."

"I honest to goodness do not like my son most of the time and knowing that KILLS me."

"I believe ice cream for breakfast is not such a bad thing."  

TODAY.com and Parenting.com surveyed more than 26,000 moms about their secrets and confessions - and discovered plenty that doesn't get discussed at play dates. Even in our post-Oprah, confessional culture, there are some things moms just don't say out loud.

Sometimes the secrets are things we do:

• Nearly one in five moms admits medicating their child to get through a special event like a plane flight; one in 12 does it just to get some peace and quiet on a regular night.
  • Half have knowingly sent a sick kid to daycare or school.
  • 85 percent use their kids to get out of social obligations.
  • Nearly one in three uses work as an excuse to avoid taking care of the kids.

And sometimes the secrets are thoughts we don't dare tell anyone else: 

• 44 percent of moms would rather be 15 pounds thinner than add 15 points to their child's IQ.
  • One in four fears their partner is a better parent than they are.
  • One in ten wishes their child was the opposite sex - and of those moms, 60 percent have boys.

By far, the biggest secret most moms confessed is feeling overwhelmed.

One mom wrote anonymously: "People frequently remark that I seem to have everything ‘so together.' I don't!  I find myself crying in the car on my way to work because I am so overwhelmed."

Another shared: "I am managing to hold it all together and still be sane. In reality I am on the verge of a breakdown at any time and who knows what is going to push me over the edge!"

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Wow, that sucks.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Momsthename0609
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM
Mothers actually medicate their child when they aren't sick? That is horrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lishes
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM

The medicating thing is appalling, but not at all surprising.

Javamama619
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I don't think being over whelmed is bad you just need to reach out to someone to vent or ask for that help the 45min away from it all to go get coffee with a friend, And might I add I have ALL BOYS with the exception of my Cane Corso and I adore having all boys

norahsmommy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Wow, this makes me feel like a better parent than I thought I was! I never drug my kids ( unless they are sick and really uncomfortable). I HOPE my dh is a better parent than me! He is at some things, I am at others. Id rather be fat with smart kids, I don't care what sex my kids are, I got what I was meant to have. This article is sad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.nerds
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM
This article is reality.... like all reality it isn't pretty and perfect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugareemommee
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I shared this on facebook the other day.. I've totally used my kids to get out of things but the medication thing was unbelievable.  I don't even medicate with OTC shit when my kids are sick.. how selfish of them.  idiots.

IhaveHisjoy
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:58 AM
Sad. When I read the medicating part all I could see was Casey Anthony.* Shudders*
GCMomma
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I don't understand what's so repulsive?  The medicating one I get.  But being overwhelmed?  Crying to sleep? Everyone has been overwhelmed.  Motherhood is extremely overwhelming.  Using your kids to get out of social events....who hasn't done that?  Sometimes, I wish my son was a girl.  I love him to death, and I obviously wouldn't change him for the world, but sometimes, I just don't understand him.  It would be much easier if he was a girl.  Girls I understand.   Ice cream for breakfast isn't bad on occassion.  It's fun.............

yostastic
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM

ok, here's a better suggestion than calling these women "repulsive"... how about we reach out to our fellow mothers?  We know their frustration, but we don't know their situations.  Instead of resorting to name calling, and making them feel even worse (because I can guarantee there will be women reading this who have done every single thing listed in the article, and they can't be happy with what they've done) how about we encourage and offer suggestions to help them deal with their circumstances better?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)