Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom concerned for her childs well being.. Feeling completely lost on what to do for him.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM
  • 5 Replies

I would like to beging by introducing myself, my name is Kendle and I am a stepmother. I am new to "CafeMom" and in desperate need of advice. I have been apart of my stepson's life since he was 6 months old. Now at the age of 6 years old he believes that life has always consisted of myself and his father, and his mother and stepfather. He considers us all to be parents. He has had a delay in speech for as long as I can remember. I tried to express my concern to his father, mother, and grandparents many times but everyone felt that he would catch on. At the time my husband and I were not married so there wasn't much I could do. Once my husband and I were married, we were all called to his Kindergarden class for a parent teacher conference. His teacher then expressed that she was afraid that his delay of speech would affect him in the 1st grade when he began reading more but he was put through to the 1st grade. When Jaden came to us for the summer I quickly contacted his doctor to get a referal. He is now in speech therapy once per week and making slow improvement. The therapist says that he is almost 2 years behind and it will take some time and work from everyone to get him caught up. However, she is confident that he will catch up. Today my husband informed me that he recieved a text from Jaden's mother stating that he was having difficulty reading and she feels he should have been held back in Kindergarden. I am at a loss of what to do for him. I love this child more than if he were my own birth son, but his parents (my husband included) are driving me crazy. They act as if everything he is going through is a phase that he will grow out of. His father works 60-70 hours per week, and his mother has 3 other children. I feel that he might be lost in the shuffle of their lives. I however can not and WILL not sit back and watch their actions destroy this child, my son. I just don't know where to begin now in trying to help him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tashangel31
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM
That's so tough. I'm surprised the school hasn't said more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kagegirl
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM

My youngest DS had a speech problem. Turns out it was structural, the way his jaw was formed, and giving him straws with all his beverages really helped. On top of that, he also had trouble reading, but he had the most AMAZING people at his school. The Diary of a wimpy kid series did wonders for him. It was in a format that interested him, and he loves to read now. To the point that he asks for books every year for christmas. Take extra time with him to help him read. Talk to his teachers and school counselors to get their advice and tips and show the mom and dad how to help him. Sometimes, you just have to step in. My bonus daughter is having similar issues, and I have barreled in head first so she doesn't get lost. Pissed her mom off at first, but I don't care. It's not about her, it's about the child. 

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

GOOD FOR YOU For standing p for your DS. I personaly would call the school for a intervention. Tell the school about your concerns and let them be brought to a head at school so the school can tell them what they see.

LancesMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

welcomeNice to meet you! Did you know there is a group for step parenting!

Stepmom Central

jerzeetomato
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM

this is your best route.  Insist the school have him tested and get him the intervention services he needs. 

Quoting gypsy_rose:

GOOD FOR YOU For standing p for your DS. I personaly would call the school for a intervention. Tell the school about your concerns and let them be brought to a head at school so the school can tell them what they see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)