Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reusing expired car seats

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 8 Replies
Ok I know they aren't car safe and I don't want any lip about that but I saw this site on how to reuse recalled cribs by turning them into benches and chalk boards. So it got me thinking about Dds infant seat and all the ones I see ppl trying to donate but can't. I have been searching the web all morning to see what u could make with them. I can't find a damn thing! Any ideas??? I thought about cutting the harness out and taking the handle off to make a dog bed. Or a kids chair for tv time, a basket of some kind. I hate to see them fill up the landfills or be reused as car seats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mamaBerg85
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I agree with you about reusing them for something else. 

Punkie74
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I would think at the very least they should be able to be recycled. I mean they're plastic right? I don't know I gave my carrier away to a woman having triplets (was only 3 years old) so I've never actually thrown away a carseat yet.

LiesLiesLies
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I don't like to keep junk in my house...so I have thrown them away...it would be nice if you could recycle them.

Cara5
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Ive used old car seats as make shift boosters for the table, chairs to use at the coffee table etc...   

We also used an old overhead sheild car seat as our time out chair for a long time.  I cut the shoulder straps out, and changed the crotch buckle to a velcro strap (as to not encourage them to figure out how to operate a seatbelt!).  The overhead bar helped remind them to stay in their seat till the time out timer went off.  

We took some one inch pvc pipe and screwed the ends into the frame of a radian that was in a crash to create big rockers.  it let the seat rock all the way back to level with the ground...great physical therapy tool for my dd, but I wouldnt make something like that as a toy...too much opportunity to pinch fingers, run over someone or fall.  

My older kids have butchered many expired carseats, attaching them to skateboards, sliding down the play set slide on them etc...  I usually let them play with the seats till they are battered beyond anyone ever wanting to put a baby in one and then we trash them. 

mamaBerg85
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM
Hmmm interesting my sister in law came up with an idea of using the seat cover as a sling for her farrets to sleep in. I'm not a farret fan and is prefer to see most if not the whole thing get put to good use so let's keep going.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:18 AM
They can be recycled.
We give our used seats to families who need them.. never had an expired seat yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummali
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Babies R Us has the exchange program and the recycle the non usable car seats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)