• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ex and Irs

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 13 Replies
My child's father is no longer in my child's life. We havent seen or heard from him in over a year. We dont have a address and he changed his phone #. He owes over $15,000 in child support and I know he hasnt filed a tax return in 15 year. If I turned him in I get a percentage of what he owes. I havent done this before because he was in my childs life but now.... Plus we are struggling to make ends meat. Should I turn him in or not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elyce225
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

You should turn him in whether you are struggling or not (but especially since you are struggling).  He owes you and he is defrauding the system.  You should do everything possible to turn him in.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Quoting Elyce225:

You should turn him in whether you are struggling or not (but especially since you are struggling).  He owes you and he is defrauding the system.  You should do everything possible to turn him in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megdm06
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I think I would personally.

kaylarand
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM

A phone call to the IRS/Attourney General's office can't hurt, but I can tell you this from experience. The Attourney General will attempt to locate him, but if they can't, their hands are tied. They have his information, though, and will be watching employees to see if he gets hired anywhere. The IRS will take their cut (fees, taxes etc) of whatever property they sieze or payments they get from him before they send you a dime.

If you know where he lives or works, or even a phone number, that will help the AG and IRS locate him. I know the AG will send him several letters asking him to pay, if he doesn't pay/respond, they'll take him to court where they'll just order him to pay again. He'll eventually go to jail, I'm sure, but I don't know if you get any money from his being in jail or not. I say he deserves to be in jail whether or not you get financially benefited by it. I cannot stand dead beat parents.

LancesMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I would! He owes you and your child a lot of back pay! It could be a great start for college if nothing else.

michelles
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Good luck on that! My SIL is going through a very similar situation! Deadbeat has never paid a dime in child support, has never filed a tax return, all his jobs are cash paying jobs and she has given social services his phone #, parents address and his address when she has known where he was staying and they still will not pursue anything!

andiemomo3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Turn him in.  I have no sympathy for deadbeat dads.

andiemomo3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Let me add - or deadbeat moms.

ANGIE9958
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM
I say turn him in!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pseudomamma
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

You gotta do what is best for you and your family.  I don't think they will mess with it unless it's a substantial amount, which it sounds like it is.

How about your local prosecutors office?  Usually they have a child support enforcement division.  Here if you pay $5, they'll try to track him down and get him either into court or jail. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)