Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Superwoman or just Reckless?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
  • 7 Replies

My sister is amazing. She used to do M.M.A. cage fighting. Her Myspace pic (back when pple were still using Myspace instead of Facebook), used to be a pic of her sparring with some guy M.M.A. fighter and she had him on the ropes with his gloves protecting his face, lol. She now frequently runs marathons and other long distance races. She runs 14 or 15 miles a day, usually. On a  lazy day she might run just 5.  I think she must have been inspired by our Grandma. She does an aerobics class, + some strength training + a water aerobics class every weekday.

The problem is, she has Lupus, a bad knee, (from the M.M.A. days), and asthma. She has been on the very verge of completely losing her kidneys several times. Once, on a race, she got disoriented, lost and dehydrated and ended up going to the hospital. That was one of the times she almost lost her kidneys. This past week she's been on dialysis and chemotherapy because of her lupus, yet she STILL does her 14 mile runs! I keep looking at her facebook and it will say things like, "YAY! Just did my 14 miles!", even though she also had to do her chemo and dialysis that day.

She works full time as an event planner at a swanky resort and sometimes plans 'platinum weddings'. She is friends with George Forman, who calls her, "The boxing chick", and just is a really impressive person, BUT I worry so much about her, and she's not the kind of person who can handle anyone worrying about her. When I ask her how she's feeling she'll just quickly say, "I'm fine!", like she can't believe I had the gall to imply she might be 'weak' enough to actually be sick. I do worry a lot about her, but I don't know what I can do about it or what to say about it. I don't even feel like I can ask her how she's doing.

I don't know if she's just a really tough cookie, or if she's being really foolish and reckless with her health. I'm just so scared because she's my only sister and I love her so much!

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
loisl25
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM

BUMP!

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say she wants to enjoy life while she has time to live it. I know if I was that Ill i would do what I want to do no matter if it made me sicker or not.

loisl25
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I see your point, but it seems like she'd probably live a lot longer if she doesn't exhaust her body so much. Not that I'd want to try to tell her what to do.

i.heart.nerds
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Quoting gypsy_rose:

I would say she wants to enjoy life while she has time to live it. I know if I was that Ill i would do what I want to do no matter if it made me sicker or not.

I agree. What's the point of fighting for your life if all you can do is lay in bed. She is probably motivating herself to fight.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Better to live a short happy life then a long boring sad life.

Quoting loisl25:

I see your point, but it seems like she'd probably live a lot longer if she doesn't exhaust her body so much. Not that I'd want to try to tell her what to do.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Also proven someone who is happy tends to live longer When you wallow in misery and just lay around you die faster.

PatriciaofMN
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM

wow, your sister does sound amazing and I can certainly understand why you would feel this way however sounds like she has pretty much control of her life and seems to have a pretty good head on her shoulders and probably knows the limitations of her health and her life....I would just support her as best as you can and always tell her that you will always be there for her if she ever needs someone to talk to....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)