Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which kids use the drugs most?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was a bit surprised by the findings....were you?

Black and Asian adolescents are much less likely to turn to drugs or alcohol than teens of other races, according to a new study.

The survey of adolescents aged 12 to 17 years reveals that in total, 37 percent used alcohol or drugs in the past year, and 7.9 percent met criteria that would identify the teens as having a substance-related disorder.

When separated by race, Native American teens had the highest level of drug use, with nearly 48 percent reporting having used substances in the last year. That group is followed by 39 percent of white teens, almost 37 percent of Hispanics, 36 percent of multi-racial adolescents, 32 percent of blacks and nearly 24 percent of Asians.

"There is certainly still a myth out there that black kids are more likely to have problems with drugs than white kids, and this documents as clearly as any study we're aware of that the rate of ...substance-related disorders among African American youths is significantly lower," Dan Blazer from Duke's Department of Psychiatry, a senior author of the study, told the Raleigh News & Observer.

For the study, researchers analyzed survey results on use of alcohol and drugs like cocaine, heroin and oxycodone from 72,561 adolescents across the country. The study is published in the November issue of Archives of General Psychiatry.

Native American adolescents were also found to have the highest -- and blacks and Asians the lowest -- rate of substance-use disorder, defined as symptoms that would interfere with social functioning, work or school, and if obtaining the substance becomes a priority.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LiesLiesLies
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Environment is the greatest determining factor with respect to social influence of all kinds. Poverty, peer pressure and strength in ignorant numbers all breed crime and drug use. 

I never really buy into these "survey" type studies. Kids can and will lie. The amount of children in this study is also very low in my opinion.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I'm actually not surprised, though I thought whites would be #1.

sharebearII
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Not surprised.  Many, many, many of my friends on the Rez had problems when I was a teen.  It's sad knowing how many are gone now, or in prison, or still medicating... 

andiemomo3
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

I actually thought white children/teens would be number one on the list also.

Quoting PEEK05:

I'm actually not surprised, though I thought whites would be #1.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It never occurred to me that anyone would put the time and money into a study. It shouldn't matter, your race.
Ataemommy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all. Rich white kids LOVE getting high.They use the most and they use the hardest stuff because they're socialized to think they're untouchable.

gingersnap30
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM

How do we know these teens were being honest in this poll?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)