Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

over medicated foster children

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

after seeing this, I've changed my mind in giving my dd and ds adhd medication.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/mind-altering-psych-drugs-year/story?id=15066848#.TtoEmmN4O60

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mitty18
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM
I watched that on 20/20 last night.
I was in foster care for sixteen years as were my brother and sister.
The show doesn't exaggerate at all. I was three when I entered the system. I was on a handful of medications for as long as I can remember. They made me feel like I was walking dead. I couldn't function properly, and therefore when I started being abused (another common occurrence in foster care ) I couldn't fight back.
My brother's growth was stunted because of all the medications given to him.
when I finally got a family who loved and cared for me I was weaned off all the medication, and it was like waking from a nightmare. I went from an overweight failure who couldn't do basic school work to a healthy girl who made honor roll and graduated with a high GPA.
The system needs a major reform in many aspects, medicating for no reason is just one of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Please talk to your doctor first!! There are dangers of stopping medication abruptly.

imamomzilla
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM

((hugs))

Quoting mitty18:

I watched that on 20/20 last night.
I was in foster care for sixteen years as were my brother and sister.
The show doesn't exaggerate at all. I was three when I entered the system. I was on a handful of medications for as long as I can remember. They made me feel like I was walking dead. I couldn't function properly, and therefore when I started being abused (another common occurrence in foster care ) I couldn't fight back.
My brother's growth was stunted because of all the medications given to him.
when I finally got a family who loved and cared for me I was weaned off all the medication, and it was like waking from a nightmare. I went from an overweight failure who couldn't do basic school work to a healthy girl who made honor roll and graduated with a high GPA.
The system needs a major reform in many aspects, medicating for no reason is just one of them.

kitty8199
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM
I saw that and wanted to cry. Those poor kids. Of course they will behave if they are zombies .
OP talk to the dr. Those foster kids were on meds usually given to schizophrenics and in high doses. Dont stop medicating without dr supervision. Your kids can have seizures and all kinds of stuff happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unknownstar
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:01 PM

they have not started the medication yet.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Please talk to your doctor first!! There are dangers of stopping medication abruptly.

unknownstar
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

they have not started the medication yet.

Quoting kitty8199:

I saw that and wanted to cry. Those poor kids. Of course they will behave if they are zombies .
OP talk to the dr. Those foster kids were on meds usually given to schizophrenics and in high doses. Dont stop medicating without dr supervision. Your kids can have seizures and all kinds of stuff happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)