Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who should pay?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM
  • 19 Replies

This is a hypothetical question. I just wanted to see what others would do in this situation

My washer is not working. I call a company to fix it. They send a guy out. He comes to me 20 minutes later and says "the job it done". Unfortunately I walk down to my basement 4 hours later, and realize its flooded in 3 feet of water. I walk/swim over to the washer and start to hear a buzzing sound. Its the alarm on my washer going off. I couldn't hear it because I was no where near it. I call the company and the man comes back out. He tells me he didn't know it was not fixed properly and apologizes. He says it was a mistake anyone could make.

The damages amount to 16,000 dollars. Who should pay? Me for not hearing it or him/his company for not fixing it properly

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthTxPrincess
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
The company
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Your homeowners should cover it...then they will probably try to get the company to reimburse them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassnadrajones
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

Your homeowners should cover it...then they will probably try to get the company to reimburse them

So basically its the companies fault, right? 

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM
It's the companies fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:13 PM

The company, they have insurance for that kind of stuff.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

CrimsonGrace
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM
I would say yes, they are liable, however I don't think they are just gonna cut you a check and say have a nice day lol. Probably will have to mediate or sue for it :(

Quoting cassnadrajones:

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

So basically its the companies fault, right? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM

the company

JAMom07
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The company for not fixing your washer and making it worse!

Do you have homeowner's insurance?

cassnadrajones
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Quoting JAMom07:

The company for not fixing your washer and making it worse!

Do you have homeowner's insurance?

Its hypothetical :]. I made it in a response to a woman who felt her husbands pay should not be docked. He failed to fix a store's freezer. All of their ice cream melted all 8,000 dollars worth. His company could have easily fired him and sued him to recoup the money.

offrdngal
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:13 PM

You're trying to open up a can of worms.

In your hypothetical story, you failed to mention a third party who is supposed to be in charge of hearing the alarms and contacting the company who is contracted in, to fix it.

You are fixated on who is at fault.  Yet the person who told the original story has already said that her husband did admit fault, even though the ones in charge of contacting him, when the alarms do go off, failed to do so.  Yes, he should have fixed it correctly.  When the alarms were not going off, he thought he had.  When no one contacted him until it was too late, there isn't much he could do.  The blame should be placed on the people who were in charge of hearing the alarms.

In your story, without that third party, yes the guy who fixed it should be at fault.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)