Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Pregnancy after vasectomy reversal?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM
  • 31 Replies
Have you or anyone you know gotten pregnant after a vasectomy reversal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM
There is actually a chart that shows the percentages.

How long did he have a vasectomy before the reversal?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wilesmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Well he hasn't gotten the reversal yet. I was just curious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesbai91
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My fiance got one 15 years ago, his ex wife had him do it. Now we want a baby together. If he gets it reversed what are the chances of us getting prego?

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

First you need to know that it can take 3-8 months, or even a bit longer, for sperm counts to return to normal. This is due to the recovery time needed for everything to heal after the vasectomy reversal and to start the sperm transport functioning again.

Much of this relies on a successful reconnection without obstructions or too much scarring in the first place. It is not unheard of for a man to undergo more than one vasectomy reversal surgery especially if he gets the wrong surgeon.

The average time to a successful pregnancy after a reversal is one year. Again there are many factors that play into this but this is probably what you are really wanting to know…what are the chances of your spouse getting pregnant after you undergo the reversal procedure?

Vasectomy Reversal Success Rates Statistics

One source quotes a general 75% pregnancy rate if the original surgery was done less than three years before the reversal. The same source quotes a pregnancy rate of 30% when done after 15 years with good sperm count being achieved in only 71% of men. These seem to be the generally quoted figures in the industry.

wilesmomma
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Thank you altmom!

dorfmama
by Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM
My friend's husband had one while married to his first wife. When they got married, he had it reversed. She was about 33-34 at the time. She also took Clomid. Their daughter is now 8. Her husband got another vasectomy after their daughter was born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connie04
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I don't know anyone personally, but I know Dr. Phil had a vasectomy reversal when his wife decided she wanted another child.  They now have two sons, so it worked.  I'm not sure what the stats are....you could google it.

shep0517
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

my husband just had a vas. reversal and we are on our 1st month of trying...I just started my period so no luck this month but it's only been a months since his surgery....we couldn't really "try"  until after 3 weeks...so I wasn't to hopeful about getting pregnant this early but we are excited to keep trying!

wilesmomma
by on Feb. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM
How long did your dh have the vasectomy for?

Quoting shep0517:

my husband just had a vas. reversal and we are on our 1st month of trying...I just started my period so no luck this month but it's only been a months since his surgery....we couldn't really "try"  until after 3 weeks...so I wasn't to hopeful about getting pregnant this early but we are excited to keep trying!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shep0517
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:42 PM

just got his 1st set of lab results back... one dead sperm.  so he has to go re-test in 6 more weeks.  :(  kinda bummed...but not giving up hope.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN