Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fishy smelling student sprayed down by teacher

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM
  • 33 Replies

'Fishy' student sprayed1:54
The furious mother of a student at a Newfoundland school says her 10-year-old son came home saying his teacher had sprayed him with air freshener after his lunch of fried fish.'Fishy' student sprayed1:54

The furious mother of a student at a central Newfoundland elementary school says her 10-year-old son came home saying his teacher had sprayed him with air freshener after his lunch of fried fish.

Patti Rideout said she was "very hurt and very angry" over her son's treatment at Twillingate Island Elementary School last week.

Christian Roberts was teased and bullied after eating a meal of fish at lunchtime last week, says his mother. (Facebook)

"I feel like he's been embarrassed, bullied, and I think what she [did] was very disgraceful," Rideout told CBC News. "I think my son was treated not like a human being - I think he was treated like a dog, or a cat ... I'm very hurt and very angry over this."

Rideout said she made her son Christian a meal of fried capelin Thursday for lunch. When Christian went back to school, she said, the students started teasing and laughing at him.

His teacher put him in the hall for a period - then sprayed him with Febreze.

Rideout called it bullying, and said school officials are doing nothing about it.

An angry parent in Twillingate says a teacher sprayed her 10-year-old son with air freshener after his lunch of fried fish. What do you think?
 The teacher should be disciplined by school authorities 
 Perhaps the teacher thought she was getting rid of an allergy hazard 
 I'd like to hear the teacher's version of what happened before passing judgement 
 Air freshener is an effective way to get rid of fishy smells 

Quantcast

"I want her fired ...I don't want it to happen to any other child - no child deserves to go through that," she said.

Rideout said she called the teacher at home that night looking for an apology, but the teacher hung up.

During a meeting with the school principal on Monday, Rideout said, the principal told her that people make mistakes, but provided no apology.

A spokesperson for the local school board confirmed a complaint had been received from a parent and that the matter is under investigation.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wilesmomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok, I may be a horrible person but this made me lol a little bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
I think it was out of line, but worth firing over?? Not really.

If it were me, I'd be a little taken back by it. I wouldn't be happy in the least, but I wouldn't feed my kid fish for lunch after that. Just for the sake of my child being teased by the other kids. Adults should know better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Oh give me a break, bullying, really?  I would have done the same thing.  I HATE the smell of fish, it makes me throw up.  Who the hell sends a kid to school with fish for their lunch (besides a tuna sandwich and even that is gross *to me*).  

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM

why in HELL should a kid be teased for eating fish? For all we know he may need to be on a special diet for health reasons. I would want the teacher fired. What if my kid was allergic to ferbrezze also what if it got into his eyes!? She coudl have caused SERIOUS damage by doing that! I would be PISSED and the teacher as much as the students were being bullies!

Quoting yourpassion:

If it were me, I'd be a little taken back by it. I wouldn't be happy in the least, but I wouldn't feed my kid fish for lunch after that. Just for the sake of my child being teased by the other kids. Adults should know better.

juicebox.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh come on now. He was being bullied because his mother made him smell like fish. The teacher was trying to fix the problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juicebox.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM
He was being teased by the kids. Because he smelled. The teacher made a mistake, but I believe she was trying to help. She should have called the mother to pick him up or bring fresh clothes, but she made a mistake. I don't think she sprayed him to humiliate hum, he was already being teased for the fish smell.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

why in HELL should a kid be teased for eating fish? For all we know he may need to be on a special diet for health reasons. I would want the teacher fired. What if my kid was allergic to ferbrezze also what if it got into his eyes!? She coudl have caused SERIOUS damage by doing that! I would be PISSED and the teacher as much as the students were being bullies!

Quoting yourpassion:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM
Eeeek...I didn't say that he should be teased for eating fish. Just saying what I would do if it were my kid.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Quoting yourpassion:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:31 AM

School board sorry after Nfld. teacher sprays kid with air freshener because of fish lunch

TWILLINGATE, NFLD.- The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, Feb. 07, 2012 1:02PM EST
Last updated Tuesday, Feb. 07, 2012 3:09PM EST
Click Here

A Newfoundland school board has apologized and put one if its teachers on paid leave for spraying air freshener on a 10-year-old boy who ate fried fish for lunch.

The Nova Central School District has launched an investigation into last Thursday's incident at the Twillingate Island Elementary School.

"The district takes any such matters very seriously," the school board said in a statement Tuesday. "We regret that this situation has occurred."

Patti Rideout, the boy's mother, says her son returned to school last Thursday after a lunch of fried capelin, a fish that is similar to smelt but more slender.

"When he went back to school, he was teased (by) his classmates, and his teacher took him out of the class for an hour," she said from Twillingate.

"After that, she came out and she sprayed him with spray because he smelled like cooked capelin.

"At first I was angry and very, very hurt," Ms. Rideout said. "I called his teacher, actually, and ... asked her why didn't she call me or let me know what was happening at the school?"

Ms. Rideout said her son could have got the spray in his eyes or had an allergic reaction. She said she wants an apology directly from the teacher, adding that she should be fired.

"I don't want that teacher teaching - not just my son, but any little girl or boy because it's unreal what she has done," she said.

"I don't want it to happen to anybody else's son."

The school board declined to make anyone available for an interview, and the teacher could not be reached for comment.

"A school district representative met with the parent yesterday and an apology has been issued to the family," says the board's statement.

Twillingate, famous for its yearly iceberg sightings, is a picturesque fishing community of about 2,400 people off Newfoundland's northeast coast.

Quoting juicebox.:

He was being teased by the kids. Because he smelled. The teacher made a mistake, but I believe she was trying to help. She should have called the mother to pick him up or bring fresh clothes, but she made a mistake. I don't think she sprayed him to humiliate hum, he was already being teased for the fish smell.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Quoting yourpassion:

Kaylawv2
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM
People are way too sensitive! Sounds like the teacher was trying to help him out. Did she go about it the right way? Probably not, but she doesnt deserve to be fired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lishes
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be pissed too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)