Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Confused by religion

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • 12 Replies
I grew Christian, but lately I've been wandering outside the box. I've even looked into Wicca, my brother is Buddist and talked to me about it. I just don't know. I want to be at peace knowing there is something bigger than myself out there, but it's hard. I was thinking about going back to my church and joining I the young adults ministry but I don't want to waste my time if my heart isn't in it.
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

You can have faith without religion.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

DropZoneMom
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

YES, you can.   'Religion' is man-made.   Faith is God-given.  :)

lizzig
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

like the others have posted you can have faith, spirituality without being religious.  i grew up in a pentecostal home but had many questions, non of which were answered because it wasn't ok for me to question.  so as soon as i was no longer forced to go to church i stopped.  i still had questions & loved learning about all religions though so i read books, found friends of different faiths & beliefs. 

when my oldest was about 3 1/2 she started asking about churches & said she wanted to go.  i was fine with this but we didn't have any friends that went to church & i didn't feel comfortable taking her from church to church.  i wanted to find a place where she could learn about various religions & decide her own path.  i found a local uu church (unitarian universalist) & decided to check it out.  4 1/2 years later we're still attending & i'm even teaching re classes (religious exploration) to the youth.  we have people of all faiths & backgrounds at our church & my children get to learn from them all.  they learn of all the meanings behind the religious holidays that are celebrated; chanukah, christmas, yule, etc. 

churches need not be big, fancy buildings.  a small group meeting in someones living room may be all some need.  continue your search & you'll find what's "right" for you.  best wishes on your journey! ;o)

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Quoting MarinaVictoria:

I want to be at peace knowing there is something bigger than myself out there

Are you looking for truth or comfort?

Or, to put it another way, if reality turns out to be something that you would find disturbing, would you prefer to still know what it is, or would you want a comfortable lie instead?

Heatherism
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I go to a Universalist Unitarian church. They are accepting of EVERY person and EVERY religion. I believe that every religion has truth to it. There is NO one correct religion. And if we are respectful to mother earth and our fellow man (though that can be difficult) I believe we will get what we deserve out of life or in the next life! Hope that helps.. Namaste

dingysfamily
by Suzi on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

It would be a start, but praying and listening for God's answer would be a better start really.  Study your bible would also help.  Give your church a try and see where it leads, it may or may not help, but it can't hurt. Trying a differnt church might also help. 

Aladdin.Sane
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You can believe that there is something bigger, even believe in god, without being associated with an organized religion. Which in my opinion is the best way to go. 

Aamy
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Sure you can.....

Quoting jillbailey26:

You can have faith without religion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarinaVictoria
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Quoting Clairwil:

Truth
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Quoting MarinaVictoria:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting MarinaVictoria:

I want to be at peace knowing there is something bigger than myself out there

Are you looking for truth or comfort?

Or, to put it another way, if reality turns out to be something that you would find disturbing, would you prefer to still know what it is, or would you want a comfortable lie instead?
Truth

The truth is that, however certain someone feels, nobody knows.

Objective evidence can't prove a negative, so it can only give you a measure of how probable or not something is.  On the grounds that science has never found any objective evidence that any forms of supernatural exist at all, the default probability it would allocate to the existance of a supernatural deity is pretty low.

Subjective evidence is unreliable (witness the vast hoards of people who, with a feeling of absolutely certainty, proudly make mutually contradictory claims about the nature of an afterlife, based upon their subjective experiences).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN