Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Child sleeping in backless car booster seat

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey moms, I have a dilemma. My son was so excited to finally reach 40 pounds and move into a booster seat in the car with out the 5point harness. We bought a backless one since it was cheaper and easier to move from car to car when needed. Only problem is when he falls asleep in the car there is no where for him to put his head and he ends up slumped forward. We are going to be taking a 9 hour drive soon and need a solution. The seat is too far away from the window- or in this case sliding back door- to just lay a pillow there. We are going to try pulling the adjustable arms on the actual seat up to kinda hold a pillow but not sure how well that will work. Anyone else come across this issue and have a solution? Also tried a neck pillow and that didn't work either. Thanks!

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Ignore the bashers.  People on here love to be car seat nazi's on here.  Its a sore subject sometime.  Do what you want to do within the law. 

Quoting giggle:

Wow, I was asking for advice, not to be bashed for my decision. It took him 1 1/2 years to gain the last 4 pounds to get to 40. The big boy seat was a goal for him that finally helped him start eating more.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

JDM31707
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM
We have a car pillow for that reason. My son just got to that seat 6 months ago. He loves it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
You asked for a solution. The solution is either a high back booster or a harnessed seat. If he's slumping over, he's not safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
giggle
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I like the idea of using the old one for the trip, may take some coaxing, but I think he will be ok with. And thanks to the moms that are nice and trying to help out.

danie24
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM
The car's' seat belt will not protect him properly if he's falling asleep and slumping over.

He needs to be in a high back booster or 5 point harness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM
I agree. Tell him the five point is more comfy for long rides and napping.

Quoting Cara5:

I totally hear you with the car pool line thing... if I did not have older kids to unsnap the little kids id have to pull into the parking lot to get my kids out instead of the pick up line.   UGH! 

How upset would he be if you moved him back into the harness for the 9 hour car trip?   I would either do that or go ahead and spring for that high back booster.  It offers more protection and will be more comfortable on such a long drive anyway. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Quoting giggle:

Wow, I was asking for advice, not to be bashed for my decision. It took him 1 1/2 years to gain the last 4 pounds to get to 40. The big boy seat was a goal for him that finally helped him start eating more.

So you set a goal for him and the reward is to put him in harms way? WOW. and you go frm harness right to backless because its cheaper? Your priorities regarding the NUMBER ONE THING THAT KILLS CHILDREN (car accidents) are screwed up!
nurse1997
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Honey your seat is fine just make sure he is properly hooked in . They have seats like u have now with arms just look.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Good luck you'll be so bashed.

Quoting giggle:

Hey moms, I have a dilemma. My son was so excited to finally reach 40 pounds and move into a booster seat in the car with out the 5point harness. We bought a backless one since it was cheaper and easier to move from car to car when needed. Only problem is when he falls asleep in the car there is no where for him to put his head and he ends up slumped forward. We are going to be taking a 9 hour drive soon and need a solution. The seat is too far away from the window- or in this case sliding back door- to just lay a pillow there. We are going to try pulling the adjustable arms on the actual seat up to kinda hold a pillow but not sure how well that will work. Anyone else come across this issue and have a solution? Also tried a neck pillow and that didn't work either. Thanks!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Your kid will be dead if you are ever in a roll over accident. If it wouldn't have been for my kids being in a harnessed seat when we had ours, my kids would not be here. Its sad that saving money and convenience is more important to you then your child's safety.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)