Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Lottery winner that continued to get welfare charged with 2 felonies for fraud!!!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

LANSING, Mich. - A 25-year-old woman from Lincoln Park, Mich., who continued to collect food stamps after winning the state lottery's $1 million Make Me Rich! game show has been charged with two felonies for welfare fraud, Attorney General Bill Schuette said Tuesday.

Amanda Clayton, whose use of a food stamp bridge card was uncovered earlier this year by WDIV-TV, was to be arraigned Tuesday on charges of failing to inform welfare officials of her winnings or the fact that she was employed for five months in 2011, Schuette said in a joint announcement with Director Maura Corrigan of the Michigan Department of Human Services.

They said Clayton illegally collected about $5,475 in food and medical assistance from August 2011 through March 2012.

Each of the two charges of welfare fraud, failure to inform is punishable by up to four years in prison.

"It's simply common sense that million-dollar lottery winners forfeit their right to public assistance," Schuette said in a statement.

Clayton won the televised game Sept 12, 2011, and reportedly took home more than $500,000. She told WDIV-TV that she thought she was justified in continuing to collect the state payments after her windfall because she was now unemployed.

"I feel that it's OK because, I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay,' she said. 'I have two houses.' "

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:03 PM
3 moms liked this
What the heck is wrong with people???
Entitlement issues!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebbyzebby06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginnyk87
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good! It must be hard to pay bills and have 2 houses when you have hit the lottery. Insert sarcasm.
jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

at least they have charged her with a criminal offense.  SMH.

lillysnow
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM
What a dumb lady. I mean come on...... If you have 2 houses before you win the lottery sell 1 that way you don't have to be on the assistance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
echoishername
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM
I saw her interview where she said she was justified ... what a twat. Glad they're charging her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:23 PM

2 houses and on welfare?  What's up with that!!!??  She should got to jail!  Dumb lying, stealing, greedy, and I will shut up now.

yourpassion
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:20 AM
This!!! Thank goodness they did something about this!!!

Quoting Punkie74:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steveiguana
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

common sense is the issue it is in short supply

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)