Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Nurse charged with murder

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

I saw something about this posted yesterday. I did not know she was a nurse though!

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/18/11264607-nurse-charged-with-murder-after-texas-mom-killed-in-apparent-baby-snatch-plot?lite

Nurse charged with murder after Texas mom killed in apparent baby-snatch plot

By Jason White, msnbc.com

Updated at 1 p.m. ET: A Texas woman was charged with capital murder Wednesday after allegedly shooting a mother and snatching her 3-day-old baby in the parking lot of a pediatric clinic, reports say. The newborn was later found safe with the suspect's sister.

The mother, Kala Marie Golden, 28, of Spring, Texas, had taken her son, Keegan Schuchardt, to a clinic for a checkup on Tuesday, when she was confronted by Verna McClain, a 30-year-old vocational nurse, authorities said.

Montgomery County Sheriff's Office via Reuters

Verna Deann McClain is pictured in this Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff's Office booking photograph taken early Wednesday.

An argument broke out, according to witnesses. "I did see the lady get out, and they were struggling," said Tia Collins.

McClain then shot Golden up to seven times and snatched the baby from her arms before driving away in a Lexus, according to reports. Golden reportedly cried out, "My baby, my baby," and lurched forward to grab her child as the vehicle drove off.

Golden was transported to Memorial Hermann hospital in The Woodlands, where she died, officials said.

McClain was not employed at Northwoods Pediatric Center in Spring, 20 miles north of Houston, where Golden took her baby for the checkup, clinic receptionist Jackie Longoria told The Associated Press. McClain has three children of her own, said Houston television station KHOU.

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon told ABC's "Good Morning America" that McClain's statement to investigators suggests Golden was in the wrong place at the wrong time and that the shooting was part of a plan to kidnap any child she could find, The Associated Press reported.

"There were statements as indicated in the arrest record that were made by Ms. McClain that led us to believe that, in fact, this was an intentional act on her part," Ligon said. "Not that Ms. Golden was targeted specifically, but that this was part of a plan to kidnap a child."

McClain is being held without bail.

Witnesses said they also saw a man in the Lexus that was at the scene, but police said authorities do not believe a second suspect is at large.

Keegan was found unharmed Tuesday evening with McClain's sister, Corina Jackson, at the Harris County home of McClain's parents.

The baby was reunited with family members Wednesday morning after being in the care of Child Protective Services, officials said.

Keegan's father, Keith Schuchardt, told the Houston Chronicle that he learned of the shooting because Golden, who lay dying, asked another woman to call him and tell him what had happened.

"She was sweet, lovable. I loved her, and she loved me," Schuchardt told KHOU. "Everything was going fine until today."

After his mother was brutally gunned down outside a Houston, Texas, pediatrician's office, a 3-day-old baby has been found safe. TODAY's Natalie Morales reports.

He and Golden were married for more than three years and had three young sons, KHOU said.

Golden's mother, Linda Golden, told the AP that she had been baby-sitting another of Kala's sons when someone at the scene called her using her daughter's cellphone. She rushed to the clinic but was unable to see her daughter because paramedics were trying to save her.

"I wanted to kiss her before they put her in the ambulance," Linda Golden said.

"That's the hardest she's ever fought," Linda Golden said. "She died trying to save her baby." 

This article includes reporting by The Associated Press.

More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:

Follow US News on msnbc.com on Twitter and Facebook

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamom88
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I am blown away by this! I cant believe someone would do that.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Horrible

Kenre
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Now I am crying. I am about to have my 4th. I have 3 young sons. I bet she fought hard to survive for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I saw this on my msn home page. I am also shocked.

The woman had kids of her own, why did she need to steal someone elses

imamom88
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:31 PM

aww  i did not want to upsite you! That got me too! I would have done the same thing.

Quoting Kenre:

Now I am crying. I am about to have my 4th. I have 3 young sons. I bet she fought hard to survive for them.

imamom88
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I dont understand this at all!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I just can't even wrap my head around it. What's so disturbingis she is a NURSE! She was suppose to be a healer! What if she was a nurse at a hospital, should could have had access to all kinds of babies!

I just can't imagine one human shooting another human for their baby. I bet that poor woman was so scared. She died trying to protect her baby. He new baby. My heart aches for her husband and her family.

I just can't imagine.

Quoting imamom88:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

imamom88
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I feel the same! I cant believe anyone let alone a nurse. I hate to think if she had done this before?! That family is going though so much. I feel for them. I mean wow! I not sure how I could handle that.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I just can't even wrap my head around it. What's so disturbingis she is a NURSE! She was suppose to be a healer! What if she was a nurse at a hospital, should could have had access to all kinds of babies!

I just can't imagine one human shooting another human for their baby. I bet that poor woman was so scared. She died trying to protect her baby. He new baby. My heart aches for her husband and her family.

I just can't imagine.

Quoting imamom88:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Elyssa414
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Heart breaking!! I'm so glad they found the baby safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BannerElkHogans
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:47 AM

If this is Not a hate crime...................this woman sat outside an waited for 2 hours for any mother with a baby to come by

1) Pre -meditated - because she planned an waited ,an came armed!

2) after the lady took the baby.....she shot the mother 7 times an when the mother was still alive an screaming.......My baby,My Baby.......she ran the mom over with her car..........WTFH???????

3) did you also know the Mom of the 3 day old also has 2 other older son's that are 2 an 4 yrs old..............that just make's me sick to my stomach.............

5) the killer has 3 teen age children........just had a mis carriage............broke up with her fiance

I hope they FRY HER ASS!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN