Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Illinois: May soon Start Charging for School Bus Rides

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

Illinois School Bus Fees? Schools May Soon Charge Students For Bus Rides

Posted: 04/25/2012 10:04 am Updated: 04/25/2012 10:31 am

As school districts statewide complain about the mounting costs of transporting their students, the Illinois State Board of Education could soon allow for schools to either charge fees for students riding buses or stop busing them altogether.

NBC Chicago reports that the state board could introduce legislation as early as this week that would ease the financial burden on school districts struggling to pay to bus their students to school.

According to the Associated Press, state funding for student transportation was slashed 42 percent in 2011 when compared to the previous year, and the state is currently planning to keep that funding level flat -- the latest casualty of the state's financial mess.

Currently, the state reimburses school districts at a fixed percentage of their transportation costs, the AP reports. A new proposal means that the state would determine the average transportation costs for schools statewide and only reimburse districts up to that amount.

"The current formula really doesn’t do anything to provide incentives for efficiency," state board spokesman Matt Vanover explained to the State Journal-Register.

Downstate parents are reportedly not thrilled by the proposal. Rural areas -- such as Goreville in Johnson County -- would be particularly impacted should school bus service be slashed.

"That'd ruin a little town like Goreville and our school," said Dennis Parrish, Goreville school bus director and driver, told WPSD. "The parents are gonna have to step up and some of them don't even have vehicles, so what are they gonna do?"

A bill aimed at cutting school transportation costs is expected to be introduced later this week in Springfield.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Punkie74
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Um... I had to pay $250 as opposed to $50 because my daughter is takig the buss next year...

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM
What? That is crazy. I've never heard of that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FebPenguins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I hate school buses in general. WHO~ decided that it is smart to put 50-70 kids on a bus with ONE adult? Why is this safe? We don't do that to teachers! The driver is suppose to be driving right? So charge me, but you better put one or even two more adults on the bus. With that said, I think it is nuts, what about the parents that can't afford to pay? Sliding scale?

Moms_Angels1960
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM
They charge all students here that are not on Free lunches something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrgetinold
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM
We paid 10 bucks amonth last yr for the bus then they dumped us as my son goes to a magnet school and budget cuts and thats a big price we are willing to pay to keep him there his school is 6 months ahead of the reg. Schools are at and its k-8 too, i would have gladly paid more then ten a momth to not have to deal with some of the other harrassing parents at his school i have had the unfortunate to meet at drop ogf and pick up latlely,my dd in high school and they charge a arm amd leg for the sports teams to get to and from events i wish things wete different my folks paid thwir property tax, and only paid for supplies and lunch and clothes we pay for field trips, and i think weekly have funfraisers meanwhile our school dist builds more new schools, bus hubs andthen cuts 12 million from the budget and increases class size uuugghh
Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I don't see the big deal. Our public schools don't have busing we have to pay $24 a week for the kids to ride the public bus to and from school and the bus stop isn't even close to our house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)