Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ky. Mom Seeks Restraining Order Against Fourth Grader

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 9 Replies

A Kentucky mother who claims her 9-year-old daughter has been bullied for two school years is seeking a restraining order against a fourth-grade boy accused of tormenting her daughter, kicking her in the chest and chasing her with scissors.

Joy Furman, the girl's mother, wants the boy to stay at least 500 feet away from her daughter.The children are classmates at Stephen Foster Traditional Academy in Louisville.The bullying began last year when the children were third graders and has continued as they shared the same classroom as fourth graders, Ted Gordon, the woman's attorney, said in a phone interview Tuesday."It's late in the school year, but she's entitled to a pleasant May," Gordon said of the girl. "She's gone through hell the last eight months."The boy weighs about twice as much as the girl, he said.A hearing on the restraining order is scheduled for May 2 in Jefferson County Circuit Court.At least one advocacy group intent on stamping out school bullying said it hadn't come across a case that resulted in a request for a restraining order to separate children.The request for a restraining order arises from a lawsuit that Furman filed against the boy's parents or guardians, two third-grade teachers and the principal at the school. The suit claims that the boy pushed and shoved the girl and cornered her in the classroom while they were third graders. Both children are identified only by initials in the suit.Furman met with the school counselor and her daughter was switched to another third-grade class. There also was an understanding that the two children would not have any further contact, the suit said.But in late May last year, the two children ended up on the playground at the same time, the suit said. The boy confronted the girl and kicked her in the chest, it said. The girl was knocked to the ground and suffered an injured sternum, it said.The two children were placed in the same fourth-grade class, and the bullying has continued, including pushing and shoving in the lunch line, Gordon said. He said the threats have become "increasingly hostile," and at one point the boy chased the girl with scissors in the classroom, he said. The teacher moved the girl to the front of the class and the boy to the back of the room to try to protect the girl, according to a court filing."The teacher was trying to rectify the situation, but it just became too much," Gordon said.Jefferson County public schools spokeswoman Lauren Roberts said the playground incident from last May was "appropriately dealt with," but said the complaint contained "vague allegations" of bullying that the district could not substantiate."We received no specific allegations of continued bullying until late last week," she said. "The new allegations will be investigated and appropriate action will be taken."Furman asked school officials month ago to separate the two students, Gordon said.Roberts declined to comment about the mother's efforts to move her daughter to another class or school.The girl's mother said she wants the bullying to stop, and Gordon said the family wants her transferred to another school."No child or parent should ever have to fear for their safety in schools," Furman said in a statement. "And that is the reason why I am doing this. So other children and parents will know that it is OK to report bullying."The suit seeks unspecified punitive damages as well as damages for medical expenses, mental anguish and pain and suffering.Shawn Gaylord, director of public policy for the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, which advocates for safe schools for all students, said he was unaware of any other bullying case tracked by the group that had resulted in a request for a restraining order."In general, we always hope to see schools tackle the situation," he said.That group released a report earlier this year looking into name calling and bullying in elementary schools across the country. The study surveyed 1,065 students in third to sixth grades, and 75 percent of them reported that students at their schools were called names, made fun of or bullied with at least some regularity. They survey was conducted in late 2010.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Shellness
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I'm proud of the parents of the victim. She will always know that her parents will do whatever it takes to keep her safe!

LovelyBugs
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Its sad that she has to take it that far in order to have her child safe at school...whatever happened to parents being responsible for their children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedMomma4
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM
My goodness where we're the parents of the boy? And why did the school not simply move one of them to another classroom as soon as they realized they had been placed together? I'm glad the patents are fighting to protect their child. Our kids need to be able to go to school without our fear of other students or teachers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM
We have had 3 suicides in northwest Iowa in the past 3 weeks, due to bullying. Personally I think the parents should be held civilly and legally responsible for any harm that their child does to another. Maybe then this shit will stop!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Agreed!

Quoting Shellness:

I'm proud of the parents of the victim. She will always know that her parents will do whatever it takes to keep her safe!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Good for them!! Sounds to me like that child (the bully) needs far more help than what a school or school counselor can provide. If he's doing this kind of thing to another student in grades 3 and 4, what's he going to be doing to others in a few more years?

TAG2.0
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Nothing wrong with that.

artemisa3001
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM
"Roberts declined to comment about the mother's efforts to move her daughter to another class or school."

This bothers me. Why is it expected from the parents of the bullied kid to move the kid to another school or class? That question shouldn't even be asked, the aggressor is the one that needs to be removed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Totally agree.  Although at the very least, I would be raising hell at the school until they at least weren't in the same class.  I would have flipped the hell out on someone the moment I found out my child had been put in the same class as a person who was known to bully them.

Quoting artemisa3001:

"Roberts declined to comment about the mother's efforts to move her daughter to another class or school."

This bothers me. Why is it expected from the parents of the bullied kid to move the kid to another school or class? That question shouldn't even be asked, the aggressor is the one that needs to be removed

Marimaru

Mommy of Isabelle Rose, born 10/11/2009
New baby girl due 07/26/2012

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)