Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think these parents overreacted

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM
  • 77 Replies

An Indiana boy who was mistakenly served an alcoholic drink by a waitress on his 10th birthday was taken to a hospital as a precaution after his parents said he started acting different, Indianapolis police said Friday.

The boy was a bit shaken up but was fine, Officer Kendale Adams said.According to the police report, the boy ordered a smoothie at an Olive Garden restaurant in Indianapolis on Thursday night but was mistakenly given a rum drink instead. Police said the waitress put the 4-ounce drink down in front of the boy and he drank about half of it immediately. Police said that when the waitress realized she had made the mistake, she went and told her supervisor. The supervisor then told the parents.The parents said they took their son to the hospital to make sure he was all right.Olive Garden spokeswoman Heidi Schauer says the waitress has been fired and restaurant officials have apologized to the family and are working to resolve the issue."We find this situation completely unacceptable and we are extremely upset that this occurred," the company said in a statement.Adams said Indiana Child Protective Services was investigating to determine whether any charges should be filed.Two incidents involving younger children being served alcohol at restaurants made headlines last year. In Madison Heights, Mich., outside Detroit, a 15-month-old toddler was mistakenly given a small amount of alcohol instead of apple juice in April. A month later, an Olive Garden in central Florida was accused of accidentally serving a 2-year-old boy sangria instead of orange juice.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by Michell on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Better safe than sorry I guess.

moogsmom03
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's fine that they took him in just to be safe. I personally wouldn't have if he only had that much to drink and he's 10 so he's probably not a tiny kid. Now if they had pressed charges or something then I would say they overreacted. Bet the kid slept great that night, lol!

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I think if they had completely separate beverage stations for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks, it would go a long way to prevent this kind of thing. Too many restaurants are too cheap to do that, though.

82ndairbornewif
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Yikes, at. Chilis now (where this happened once) they use juice boxes and such as precaution now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taina361
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

wtf? when the drinks come to the table i always make sure what we get is correct and how can u confuse rum for a smoothie.Doesnt olive garden serve kids with kids cup?

Any likes are greatly appreciated....TY :) www.facebook.com/lisaannsweetdelights

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Shit happens
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM
At ten, the hospital may have been a bit much, but it's their choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Olive garden changed their kids cups the being clear so this doesn't happen after why happened last year. I have no idea how you mix up rum and a smoothie. I don't think I would have taken a 10 year old to the hospital for the amount they drank.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they overreacted. If someone served my daughter alcohol even if it was an accident I would flip the hell out! I get that waitresses are busy, but I would think a waitress would make sure to serve the alcoholic drink to the right person as a top priority, especially if she has kids in the parties she's serving. I'd be FURIOUS. It's one thing if the person making the drink accidentally put alcohol in it and the waitress has no idea, but to just serve the wrong drink, an alcoholic drink, to a kid is just unacceptable. 

BaseballMom34
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:05 PM
They might have a frozen drink with rum in it.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Olive garden changed their kids cups the being clear so this doesn't happen after why happened last year. I have no idea how you mix up rum and a smoothie. I don't think I would have taken a 10 year old to the hospital for the amount they drank.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)