An Indiana boy who was mistakenly served an alcoholic drink by a waitress on his 10th birthday was taken to a hospital as a precaution after his parents said he started acting different, Indianapolis police said Friday.
The boy was a bit shaken up but was fine, Officer Kendale Adams said.According to the police report, the boy ordered a smoothie at an Olive Garden restaurant in Indianapolis on Thursday night but was mistakenly given a rum drink instead. Police said the waitress put the 4-ounce drink down in front of the boy and he drank about half of it immediately. Police said that when the waitress realized she had made the mistake, she went and told her supervisor. The supervisor then told the parents.The parents said they took their son to the hospital to make sure he was all right.Olive Garden spokeswoman Heidi Schauer says the waitress has been fired and restaurant officials have apologized to the family and are working to resolve the issue."We find this situation completely unacceptable and we are extremely upset that this occurred," the company said in a statement.Adams said Indiana Child Protective Services was investigating to determine whether any charges should be filed.Two incidents involving younger children being served alcohol at restaurants made headlines last year. In Madison Heights, Mich., outside Detroit, a 15-month-old toddler was mistakenly given a small amount of alcohol instead of apple juice in April. A month later, an Olive Garden in central Florida was accused of accidentally serving a 2-year-old boy sangria instead of orange juice.