Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: lasombrs

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom, lasombrs, spends most of her time the Cuties with Cloth Booties group.

1. What has been your defining moment as a mom so far? 

I think my hardest and most defining moment as a mom was when we were fighting for our diagnosis for our son. He had been sick for months and every doctor we saw was blowing me off as an over reactive first time parent. Deep down I knew that wasn't true though and it took a lot to work past the doubt they created in my mind and continue to push on. Our son Cace now has been diagnosed with a rare auto-inflammatory disease.

2. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom?

I spend the most time in Cuties with Cloth Booties. I must check in at least 20 times a day (have I mentioned I'm a CafeMom addict?) But in between those check ins I can be found in Dinner Ideas, Smarter Living, or the group I own Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss Support Group

3. What do you like most about CafeMom?

I love the vast number of groups and people I have been able to connect with. I enjoy following everyone's lives and have become extremely emotionally attached to almost every member of Cuties with Cloth Booties

4. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.)

I was running my own cloth diaper business for a while, Designs by Cace, but have taken a break for my kid's health. I also enjoy photography, gardening and my new love is couponing!

5. What are your favorites:
Book: the Scarpetta Novels by Patricia Cornwell
Movie: V for Vendetta
Song: Shipping up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys
Food: grilled swordfish steaks with white rice and grilled squash and zucchini
Place to travel to: Ireland! We went for several weeks back in 2004 and I cannot wait to visit again

6. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why?

Although she only just recently had her baby I would like to meet Emily Deschanel (the actress who plays Bones) someday.

7. If you could give a new mom one piece of advice, what would it be?

To stick to your guns about how you want to parent and not let others influence you. Be it your choice of feeding, diapering, sleeping, or just caring for your child, stick to your instincts!

8. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up?

Determined

9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

I wanted to be a fighter pilot for the Blue Angles. I have contacts though and was not accepted when I applied to the Academy :( I became a Vet tech though and worked on some really interesting cases and ran my own photography studio and cloth diaper business.

10. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?

Do they have to be alive? lol. I have no one in particular in mind but I would love to go back in time to the middle ages and see how people managed to parent back then without everything we have now!

11. If there was one question you'd love all CafeMoms to answer, what would it be?

Now answer her question for YOU:

Do you plan to vote in the upcoming election and do you think your vote will make a difference?

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
katinadb72
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Yes, and yes!

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Yes and yes. Congrats for bei mommy of the day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberlorene
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

My husband and I ran into the same problem when our daughter was 4 months old. We were told she had a cold but it just didn't seem to get any better. After a week or so, we went back and we were treated like idiots and told we were first time parents and babies get colds and to give her saline nose drops. A couple nights later, she seemed worse (concave breathing, slight blueish tint around the mouth, etc). We took her to urgent care and were told she had a cold. Later the night, she just didn't seem right and I called the oncall doctor. I was asked "Is she smiling?" I said "A little" He said "Call in 2 weeks if she isn't any better." We took her to the ER, and as soon as we got there and they did vitals on her (oxygen levels were low, she had to have an xray and had fluid on her lungs as well) she was admitted. They thought she had pnuemonia but it turned out she had RSV and had to be hospitalized for a couple of nights. She received steriods to open up her airways and had to have breathing treatments. We knew it wasn't 'just a cold' and I really feel if we hadn't gone to the ER that night, we would've woken up and she would've been gone. I always tell first time parents this story now and tell them not to let doctors make you feel stupid and like 'your first time parents.' 

lasombrs
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM
good for you!!! My son got fevers of 106 that would last for 5 to 7 days no med would bring down and i could predict the next on a calendar within a day or two. But for over a year it was a virus and would go away I was constantly told. His original dr even refused to see him after a while! Turns out he either has genetic Hids or non genetic PFAPA its a waiting game on his sister for the deciding vote. tests are inconclusive :/

Quoting Amberlorene:

My husband and I ran into the same problem when our daughter was 4 months old. We were told she had a cold but it just didn't seem to get any better. After a week or so, we went back and we were treated like idiots and told we were first time parents and babies get colds and to give her saline nose drops. A couple nights later, she seemed worse (concave breathing, slight blueish tint around the mouth, etc). We took her to urgent care and were told she had a cold. Later the night, she just didn't seem right and I called the oncall doctor. I was asked "Is she smiling?" I said "A little" He said "Call in 2 weeks if she isn't any better." We took her to the ER, and as soon as we got there and they did vitals on her (oxygen levels were low, she had to have an xray and had fluid on her lungs as well) she was admitted. They thought she had pnuemonia but it turned out she had RSV and had to be hospitalized for a couple of nights. She received steriods to open up her airways and had to have breathing treatments. We knew it wasn't 'just a cold' and I really feel if we hadn't gone to the ER that night, we would've woken up and she would've been gone. I always tell first time parents this story now and tell them not to let doctors make you feel stupid and like 'your first time parents.' 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM
Great getting to know you better! Yes I do plan on voting and I like to think it counts!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:07 PM

i do not vote for people that worry about the other person personal life, that is all they seem to worry about. sp no i will not be voting 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Yes i plan on voting.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Yes and YES!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN