Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Dan Savage Should Not Apologize For His 'Mean' Bible Comments (VIDEO) Do you think Savage's comments were wrong?

Posted by   + Show Post

Dan Savage Should Not Apologize For His 'Mean' Bible Comments (VIDEO)

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on April 29, 2012 

Dan Savage, the writer and activist who launched the 'It Gets Better' project and has been outspoken about gay rights, caused a huge stir at the National High School Journalist Conference in Seattle when he openly bashed the parts of the bible that say being gay is "wrong." A number of kids walked out of the speech, some even cried, but Savage kept on going.

To those who walked out, I say this: Boo hoo. The truth hurts. We ignore so many parts of the bible in our daily lives it would make a person's head spin to count them all and yet we focus on this? We focus on the few lines that justify persecuting an entire group of people?

Those who do so are wrong and ignorant and deserve to be called out and no one should ever apologize for doing so. See Savage's comments below:

He said:

We can learn to ignore the bulls*** in the Bible about gay people. The same way we have learned to ignore the bulls*** in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore bulls*** in the Bible about all sorts of things.

As the students reacted with varying degrees of horror, Savage responded with:

It’s funny, as someone who’s on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the bible, how pansy-assed some people react when you push back.

Go Dan Savage! It is impressive that he had the courage to say and do what he did and for those who are offended, I ask you this: Why? What is the problem? Is it that he is pointing out the truth about the incredible hypocrisy of using religion to justify hating gay people?

Any time a book (or anything else) is used as an excuse to persecute people, we ought to be questioning it. But, in our culture, it is verboten to openly question the teachings of religion. We claim this is "religious freedom," which is all fine and good, but the second someone's freedom to practice their religion hurts someone else's freedom just to exist and love and grow as a human, then it is wrong.

It is so wrong that we need to call it out. But it takes tremendous courage to do so. Savage is smart and he is witty and most of all, he is RIGHT. He is righteous. And he is spreading the truth. If he changed one mind, if he made one person realize just how wrong it is to use religion to justify persecution, then he has done something important.

Sometimes some people have to be offended, especially if they are wrong. Savage should never apologize for speaking the truth.

Do you think Savage's comments were wrong?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Replies (41-47):
TateTwo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

methinks there's a ton of hatred on this thread, for sure.

silvercrow
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:57 PM

It doesn't surprise me CM has only two sides on this one.

There is the Pro Homosexual side -this group is made up of 2 sides the side that believes they are born that way and the side that thinks its a choice but doesn't care Love is what matters. some are christians and understand the true meaning of being christ like. some arent christian at all but we all coexist well.

Then there are the radical, homophobic Christians. Some of which are closet lipstick lesbians and/or victims of turning men gay.. This side gets very upset when questioned, they are also the side less likely to have done any actual research on the topic of the bibles actual views on homosexuality and believe every bloody word that their preacher, minister says as if they themselves are god and incapable of lying, passing judgement, or doing anything unchristlike. They are secretly supporting Westboro Church and their Radical Fundamental ways. They would also rather send their child away to a pray the gay away camp to be tortured and brain washed and most likely will only see the error of their ways if their child commits suicide because before that to them the only good gay is a dead gay.. These woman are scary and are the breeding grounds for the new bullies our kids will have to face.

Kissy Face!

Clairwil
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting steffers96:

HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God will judge him accordingly.

Are you saying that God dislikes those who judge others by different standards than they use when judging themselves?

How do you interpret Genesis 12?

silvercrow
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Thank you Clair.. I find it amusing when they are beat down by their own book and words.. *hangs her head shameful like* OK not really i really do laugh my ass off when some start making huge asses of themselves and this one is one the biggest i have seen in a while...

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting steffers96:

Are you saying that God dislikes those who judge others by different standards than they use when judging themselves?

How do you interpret Genesis 12?

Kissy Face!

silvercrow
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

nodramamama311
by on May. 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't see it as being a hypocrit. If so called Christians ( of course not all Christians ) didn't use the bible to defend their bullying of gay people in the first place the he wouldn't have felt the need to defend himself and others. Christians ( again not all ) started all this mess in the first place by thinking their religion and their bible is the truth of all truths. The bible teaches acceptance yet on the same pages teaches how being different is wrong. If that's not cause for a little uppity- ness, I don't know what is.

Quoting steffers96:

REALLY??? You don't see this as being a hypocrite???? Here's someone talking about bullying gays/lesbians, and yet bashes Christians and the bible??? WOW!! Goes to show the mentality of this world!!!! Freedom of speech, fine, but you know what?? This guy has absolutely NO right to speak about any type of bullying when in fact he's doing the exact same thing, but just to a different group that he doesn't advocate for!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Quoting offrdngal:

He is not wrong at all and he should never have to apologize, for what he said.

i agree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)