Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why Does Cake Batter Rise When Baked? Yeast? Eggs? Magic?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you know why cakes rise when you bake them in the oven? The answer isn't yeast, as many people think. Share this video with your kids for a very tasty science lesson!

Do you bake with your kids? Are they curious about how things change from batter or dough to the finished product?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM

My son likes to help me make cupcakes. He likes to add the frosting and sprinkles :)

Cafe Kelly
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM

That's fun! My kids were recently at a friend's birthday and they had all the kids at the party decorate their own cupcakes. They loved it!

Quoting LuLuRex:

My son likes to help me make cupcakes. He likes to add the frosting and sprinkles :)

jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:46 PM

My kids loved to bake with me when they were little.  Now they're old enough to make their own brownies and cupcakes!

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:00 PM

baking is how we taught fractions and measures to our kids when they were little

Cafe Kelly
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I think it's so much fun to have the kids help out in the kitchen!

Quoting jerzeetomato:

My kids loved to bake with me when they were little.  Now they're old enough to make their own brownies and cupcakes!

Cafe Kelly
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wow what a great idea! I'm definitely going to do this with my kids :)

Quoting steveiguana:

baking is how we taught fractions and measures to our kids when they were little

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

It is easy we had measuring cups out and would have them dump on a waxed sheet or into bowls things like one cup flour and then show them with the other cups how many it would take to make the same again. We had a small scale and they loved to make the sides balance. Liquid measures make adding things fun and we often made homemade pizza dough and divided it in fractions like 1/8, 2/4, 1/2, 8/8 or One whole it made cooking dinner fun for us all and I have to say all my kids are great cooks.

Cafe Kelly
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Fractions can be so frustrating for kids, this is such a brillant way to make it fun!

Quoting steveiguana:

It is easy we had measuring cups out and would have them dump on a waxed sheet or into bowls things like one cup flour and then show them with the other cups how many it would take to make the same again. We had a small scale and they loved to make the sides balance. Liquid measures make adding things fun and we often made homemade pizza dough and divided it in fractions like 1/8, 2/4, 1/2, 8/8 or One whole it made cooking dinner fun for us all and I have to say all my kids are great cooks.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

It's so much fun to bake with the kids, isn't it? :)

Quoting LuLuRex:

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM

What a great party activity!

Quoting Cafe Kelly:

That's fun! My kids were recently at a friend's birthday and they had all the kids at the party decorate their own cupcakes. They loved it!

Quoting LuLuRex:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN