Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Why Does Cake Batter Rise When Baked? Yeast? Eggs? Magic?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you know why cakes rise when you bake them in the oven? The answer isn't yeast, as many people think. Share this video with your kids for a very tasty science lesson!

Do you bake with your kids? Are they curious about how things change from batter or dough to the finished product?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
MIA0223
by Michelle on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
DD makes bread with me a few times a week!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

My youngest son likes to help me bake. He likes to put the ingredients in the bowl and stir. I find it weird that some people think that there is yeast in cake batter though. Anyone that bakes knows that that isn't true.

I'm thankful for a hubby that loves me, 4 healthy children, a warm
place to sleep and enough food for our meals... God bless America!

LOVES67
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM

yeah my boy like to help me bake, he stand next to the oven to see the cake or cookies bake..

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

It's a lot of fun! :)

Quoting gypsy_rose:

my kids LOVE to bake.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Same here, lol.

Quoting jerzeetomato:

I wish they would make me some brownies right now lol

Quoting Cafe Steph:

LOL, mine, too, but they still love to help me whenever I bake. :)

Quoting jerzeetomato:

My kids loved to bake with me when they were little.  Now they're old enough to make their own brownies and cupcakes!

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My youngest says everything is magic, no matter whether there's a logical explanation or not, because, how else do you explain chemical reactions? LOL. She's 11 and believes in fairies, too, so I don't discourage her. ;)

Quoting LyTe684:

I still say magic.........

Lol. JK

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM

It does make a huge difference. I was a SAHM for the first several years with my girls and I homeschooled them. I just remembered my mom talking about how she taught me anything and everything she could think of and how I soaked it all up like a sponge. That guided me to do the same with my girls and now I have kids who excel equally as well in Math and Science as they do in English and Social Studies, just like I did. :)

Quoting steveiguana:

It has paid off too! I have all my older kids either in college or graduated all with science and math based majors. The younger ones are all on the honor roll as well. I think lots of parents can find opportunities at home to teach kids in fun different ways and not expect the school to do it al! The side benefit is I rarely have to cook anymore all the kids are great at it.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:57 PM

How old is she? If that's her in your picture, she looks to be around a year old? You might be surprised at what she can do if you do something simple like cookies. :)

Quoting kitty8199:

Mine is too young now, but I remember baking as a kid.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Oooh, lucky!! LOL. With my work schedule, I do get him to cook 2-3 times a week now, but I still do most of the cooking. My girls, however, looove to cook, so whenever I can, I ask them to help make dinner, and each week I make something with them so I can teach them how to do a new dish. This week it was meatloaf and I jazzed it up with fire-roasted diced tomatoes on top. They really loved helping with that. :)

Quoting maciymommieof3:

daddy does all the cooking here...but my girls are following in his footsteps...   :)

Quoting gypsy_rose:

my kids LOVE to bake.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 1, 2012 at 8:00 PM

What kind of bread do you usually make? I've only ever made banana bread, banana nut bread, and white chocolate chip banana nut bread, so, really... dessert, lol. ;)

Quoting MIA0223:

DD makes bread with me a few times a week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)