Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

5 foods to grow in your garden from kitchen scraps

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM
  • 12 Replies

http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foods-you-can-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Cool!plant a tree

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I know my little ones will find this neat to do one of the older ones sent me the link they grew some of the stuff and it did work in the dorm rooms for a class they are taking

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Growing Food From Kitchen Scraps

There's all sorts of growing experiments you can do with your kids just by using food from your kitchen. The possibilities are nearly limitless...take some time to take stalk of the food supplies you have, and decide which ones you'd like to experiment with. To give you an idea of the kinds of things you can plant, here's a quick list:

1. Whole seed spices (like corriander seed, mustard seed, etc.)

2. Seeds from fruits and vegetables (like potatoes, green peppers, apples, etc.)

3. Snack food seeds (like popcorn and raw nuts, etc.)

4. Fresh herbs and spices (like garlic and ginger root, etc.)

Most of these seeds and roots will grow best by starting them in water. Also, many of them can be transplanted out into the garden, if you'd like.

Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I think I'm gonna try an Avacado!

jerzeetomato
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Good to know!!

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Celery

Take a bunch of celery and cut the bottom root off. Place the root in a cup, filled about half way up the root. New leaves and stalks will begin to form out the top of the cut root. You can then plant it in the garden if you'd like.

celerycelery planted

steveiguana
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Potato

Keep a potato around until some eyes start growing on it. Slice a piece of the potato off where the eye is, and put it in a cup with water covering the potato, but not the eye. Soon, you'll have a potato plant sprouting up and you can plant it in the garden, or just watch it grow in the cup (no potatoes will grow in the cup, but the plant will grow and look good.)

cutting potatopotato sprouting

If you're really interested in this kind of kitchen food experimentation, you'll be happy to know about a great book on the subject called Grow it, Don't Throw It!: 68 Windowsill Plants from Kitchen Scraps by Deborah Peterson. She walks you through all the specifics of growing 68 different things from your kitchen supplies. The book is packed with tons of helpful information!

LyTe684
by Tasha on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Bump that's awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steveiguana
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Hope some of you find a use for this info we have started a few things here for a science project for my kids class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN