Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

who decides if a child can get a hair cut in a divorce situation?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: who decides if a child can get a hair cut in a divorce situation IF THEY CAN NOT AGREE? (child wants certain cut. one parent says ok the other says NO WAY!)

Options:

mom

dad

custodial parent

non-custodial parent

parent of the same sex

parent of the opposite sex

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

she wants something like this but with bangs.

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
chelsieb84
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:13 PM

My ex is really big on long hair.  It's a culture thing.  If she wanted short hair I would bring it up to him and talk to him.  For trims and stuff I let him know as a courtesy. It's just something he cares about.  I know it seems silly but it's one of his things.  All I care about is if her haircut is decent and she doesn't look like a hot mess.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Seems like a non issue. I cut my kids hair when I feel like they need it without discussing it with their dad. When he has them..if he feels lIke they need one...he will take them without asking me. No biggie. He usually just does our sons...and my daughter is 9..so she decides when to cut hers. Why would either parent need permission from the other for a stupid haircut??

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage need not be lived again."

Maya Angelou

acaisha
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

how old is the child?

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on May. 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting acaisha:

how old is the child?

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

acaisha
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM

pretty sure at 8 and a half a child can decide for themselves how to wear their hair..

but legally (here anyway) .. there is custodial parent and parental guardianship. Usually both parents have guardianship even if one parent has custody. Guardianship gives both parents a right to make choices for their child. So either parent can get a kids hair cut.

Pretty sad and immature two grown people would argue over a childs hair btw. Way to take away personal power from a child and show how immature grown ups can be. Get over it.

1L2CMommy
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh good lord!  Do people really fight about this shit?!  My vote would be the child.  DD has gotten her hair cut however she wants since she could talk and tell me what she wanted.  Her father and I are divorced with joint custody and we had bigger fish to fry then haircuts.  Or actually we both (amazingly, him too) were mature enough to not fight about such a petty petty issue and try and get along for the sake of our child.  Grow up PLEASE!!  Your child needs you too.

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I understand that...I mean for parent to really be so petty to have to determine who gets to cut the kids hair?? I mean..my ex wouldn't cut out daughters hair if he knew I didn't want to. It just seems nit picky. Like were adults..and to be so un-civil you need to make rules who cuts the childs hair...instead of being adults.

Quoting chelsieb84:

My ex is really big on long hair.  It's a culture thing.  If she wanted short hair I would bring it up to him and talk to him.  For trims and stuff I let him know as a courtesy. It's just something he cares about.  I know it seems silly but it's one of his things.  All I care about is if her haircut is decent and she doesn't look like a hot mess.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Seems like a non issue. I cut my kids hair when I feel like they need it without discussing it with their dad. When he has them..if he feels lIke they need one...he will take them without asking me. No biggie. He usually just does our sons...and my daughter is 9..so she decides when to cut hers. Why would either parent need permission from the other for a stupid haircut??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on May. 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Who said DH was arguing with his ex? BM is the one pitching a fit. DH told SD that she chooses so long as it is not shaved.

Quoting acaisha:

pretty sure at 8 and a half a child can decide for themselves how to wear their hair..

but legally (here anyway) .. there is custodial parent and parental guardianship. Usually both parents have guardianship even if one parent has custody. Guardianship gives both parents a right to make choices for their child. So either parent can get a kids hair cut.

Pretty sad and immature two grown people would argue over a childs hair btw. Way to take away personal power from a child and show how immature grown ups can be. Get over it.

chelsieb84
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM
That's why I ask him. No reason to get into a fight over it. She loves her long hair. So it works out for now.

Quoting NananRaysmom:

I understand that...I mean for parent to really be so petty to have to determine who gets to cut the kids hair?? I mean..my ex wouldn't cut out daughters hair if he knew I didn't want to. It just seems nit picky. Like were adults..and to be so un-civil you need to make rules who cuts the childs hair...instead of being adults.

Quoting chelsieb84:

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG2.0
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:31 PM

My child is six, I would never let her cut her hair. But its more about culture than anything, I hope a jusge would understand that. Im curious as to how this will play out, what if the parents dont think the child is old enough to make decisions?

acaisha
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM

then what is the problem.. take the kid and get it done. Sometimes its just easier to ask for forgiveness later then ask permission. Tell your husband to grow a set.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Who said DH was arguing with his ex? BM is the one pitching a fit. DH told SD that she chooses so long as it is not shaved.

Quoting acaisha:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN