Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

who decides if a child can get a hair cut in a divorce situation?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: who decides if a child can get a hair cut in a divorce situation IF THEY CAN NOT AGREE? (child wants certain cut. one parent says ok the other says NO WAY!)

Options:

mom

dad

custodial parent

non-custodial parent

parent of the same sex

parent of the opposite sex

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 74

View Results

she wants something like this but with bangs.

I love being married.  It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.  ~Rita Rudner

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
atlmom2
by Susie on May. 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

What a thing to argue about, NOT!!! 

If they are teenagers or pre teens, ask them.  Within reason it should only be up to the kid.  I would never tell my girls how to cut their hair.  My 18 year olds hair to me, is too long but I wouldn't make her cut it my way. 

michelles
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM

gypsy-rose...if I am not mistaken,  I think you have lots of problems with BM...the fact that SD is 8 1/2 (same as my daughter) I think she should have the say so over her hair as long as it's not outrageous! this really is on e of those times when the haircut is a reasonable haircut so I would take her to get it cut while she was with me...what is the BM going to do...it's hair...it grows back!

LovelyLauren55
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Talk him into what she wants, I'm good at being persuasive lol

Quoting gypsy_rose:

and if your child want something you say ok and ex says no?

Quoting LovelyLauren55:

Both

my ex and I decide together when and how much will be taken off

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I voted custodial parent. But ultimately, it should be the child's wish at that age. I find it sad that both parents wouldn't respect the child's want.

Hair will grow back, but it's a form of self expression. That's why it should be the child's choice....period.

danie24
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Who does she live with most of the time?

If she is usually with you and hubby, I'd just let her do it and explain to BM that it's what her kid wanted and hair grows back.. and to save her energy for more important issues.

If she is with BM more often.. you and hubby should just talk to her and let her know that her mom really doesn't want her to cut her hair and that she should talk to her about it herself when she's home with mom.

That's what I'd do, anyway. Sucks that BM has to be so controlling.

Christ, I let my 4 year old choose his hair style, lol.. He wanted his head buzzed like daddy last summer so we did it.. and he wanted a Mohawk the year before that and we did it.

I think a 9 year old should have some say in her own style as long as it's nothing permanent or crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TateTwo
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Personally, I think this is adorable.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

she wants something like this but with bangs.

jlmulrey
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM

my child did NOT want a haircut and he brought her for one anyway and now she is upset beyond belief about it and afraid to go to a salon thinking they will cut off all her hair even if its just for a trim... so I say its up to the child unless the child is asking for something outrageous, then its the custodial parent (I would say)

MIA0223
by Michelle on May. 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM
If they can't decide together the custodial paret, with input from the child!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:22 PM

i say the parent that has the kid most of the time

MsSpice
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I voted for "custodial parent", but I can't believe that people actually fight about things like this.  If the BM doesn't want her daughter to have her hair cut, then I would just go along with her decision.  BTW, your SD can achieve a similar look by pinning her hair with hair pins (in the back) to avoid having her hair cut in this style.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)