Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

South Strabane dad finds turtle with son's initials from 1965 Holland Cokeley, 85, still sees old engraving in shell

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM
  • 3 Replies

WASHINGTON, Pa. -

A southwestern Pennsylvania man says he's found a turtle his son befriended back in 1965 -- complete with the initials the boy carved in the turtle's shell 47 years ago.

Eighty-five-year-old Holland Cokeley says she found the box turtle on the family's 4.5-acre spread earlier this week and e-mailed pictures of the turtle to his son, Jeff, who's now 59 and lives near Rochester, N.Y.

The elder Cokeley tells the Observer-Reporter of Washington, Pa. (http://bit.ly/IHpOLO ), that his son carved "JC 1965" into the turtle's shell and says "you can still see it there."

Jeff Cokeley says he always liked the outdoors and animals and once camped outside the family's home for an entire summer just to be on his own.

He found the turtle on one such outing, but assumed it had died long ago.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gcstar42
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Wow thats pretty cool!

Elyssa414
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Crazy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhow
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I can't believe I am reading this!!  My husband just came in from turkey hunting and said he found a turtle and tried to carve his initials on it but his knife wasn't sharp enough!!!!!!  This is cool, we can drive to both of these locations within 3 hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)