Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Trampoline users! ER visit!

Posted by   + Show Post
We have a trampoline with the net that goes all around it. So we think they can't fall out. Well tonight, my 7 year old son was getting off the trampoline and ended up falling out of the opening of the net. I knew immediately something was broken. He fell on his arm. Broke the larger bone in his arm and it went on top of the smaller bone. So he had to be put to sleep and have it set. My dh stayed in the room but I didn't, while the dr set it. My son was a trooper! Didn't cry at all while putting the iv. Poor guy! I believe the trampoline is going in the trash first thing in the morning!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
Angie211
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

My daughter broke her arm last year getting off our trampoline.  We also have the net around.  She was simply climbing down and slipped.  Landed wrong and ended up with a buckle fracture.  We still have our trampoline.

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Something some friends of mine did was dig a big pit the a bit smaller than the size of the trampoline, then put the tramp over the hole. That way it was ground level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kokyuhomama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8 years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Wow... Accidents happen... Instead of it teaching your child to be more careful, youre teaching him its always someone or something else's fault. Why wasnt there stairs or something?

colbys_mom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:57 PM
My sisters boyfriends daughter just broke her wrist recently bc of a trampoline accident.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The last thing I would do is throw it away like the OP stated. Wasn't the trampoline's fault; it wans't anyone's fault.... but I wouldn't get rid of something because a child got a minor injury.... if he tripped over his feet would she get rid of those too? 

Quoting kokyuhomama:

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8 years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Wow... Accidents happen... Instead of it teaching your child to be more careful, youre teaching him its always someone or something else's fault. Why wasnt there stairs or something?

kimsamomof3
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM
You are just full of it, aren't you? I never said it was the trampolines fault. Glad you are stil putting words in my mouth!

Quoting Aslen:

The last thing I would do is throw it away like the OP stated. Wasn't the trampoline's fault; it wans't anyone's fault.... but I wouldn't get rid of something because a child got a minor injury.... if he tripped over his feet would she get rid of those too? 

Quoting kokyuhomama:

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8
years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the
kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline
easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christiansmom44
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM
My ex husband broke his back on a trampoline when he was 19. It is for that reason my kids will never have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimsamomof3
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Of course accidents happen. As a mother of 3, that's something that I learned a long time ago. This isn't the first time an injury has occurred. And of course at the time of my post I was still upset.

Quoting kokyuhomama:

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8
years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the
kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline
easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM
We have a trampoline and nobody has so much as bit their younger while jumping.

We had one growing up and never had any injuries worse than the air knocked out of us. Of course we had no net then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimsamomof3
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Never thought of that. It's a good idea. Thanks

Quoting kcangel63:

Something some friends of mine did was dig a big pit the a bit smaller than the size of the trampoline, then put the tramp over the hole. That way it was ground level.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)