Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Trampoline users! ER visit!

Posted by   + Show Post
We have a trampoline with the net that goes all around it. So we think they can't fall out. Well tonight, my 7 year old son was getting off the trampoline and ended up falling out of the opening of the net. I knew immediately something was broken. He fell on his arm. Broke the larger bone in his arm and it went on top of the smaller bone. So he had to be put to sleep and have it set. My dh stayed in the room but I didn't, while the dr set it. My son was a trooper! Didn't cry at all while putting the iv. Poor guy! I believe the trampoline is going in the trash first thing in the morning!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
Cyndabell
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM
My neighbor's friend was trying to show their kids how they could use their new trampoline. He ended up falling off and landing in such a way that he is now paralyzed from the neck down.
kitty8199
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM
I had one as a kid. No net. Never got hurt. I'm scared of them now that I can think of the bad. Still have it. Needs a new mat before anyone gets on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Yikes! My foster brother double bounced me when I was 7. 4 compound fractures in my lower leg, multiple surgeries, rebreakings, and casts, and many months in the hospital. And then he fell and smashed his head open the weekend I got home from the hospital. O.o I don't wanna be an overprotective mama, but I know I don't feel comfortable getting one. Glad your sons wasn't too bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM
YOU are the 1 throwing out the trampoline because of an accident. That shows me that you believe it's the trampoline's fault. not putting words in your mouth, mainly stating the glaringly obvious

Quoting kimsamomof3:

You are just full of it, aren't you? I never said it was the trampolines fault. Glad you are stil putting words in my mouth!

Quoting Aslen:

The last thing I would do is throw it away like the OP stated. Wasn't the trampoline's fault; it wans't anyone's fault.... but I wouldn't get rid of something because a child got a minor injury.... if he tripped over his feet would she get rid of those too? 

Quoting kokyuhomama:

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8

years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the

kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline

easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Wow... Accidents happen... Instead of it teaching your child to be more careful, youre teaching him its always someone or something else's fault. Why wasnt there stairs or something?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaynemarie086
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to go out on a limb here and agree with you for getting rid of it. I used to work in insurance and many companies will not even write a homeowners policy if you have a trampoline. I'd be getting rid of it too. Accidents happen, but why give your kid any more opportunites to make them happen?

gotnothinonme
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Many homeowners insurance policies won't allow them - they're dangerous. There's some ridiculously high percentage of users that break bones on them/ or falling off of them. We had one, once I learned the statistics, I gave it away- kids can get hurt anytime doing anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give them a jump on it, lol....no pun intendended.

gotnothinonme
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I'm working and dont't have time now, but google the injury stats for trampolines- it kind of IS the trampolines fault, lol, it's an inherently and ridiculously dangerous toy-people have to hide them when they are being inspected for homeowners insurance due to the statistical evidence that bones will get broken if there's one on the property, lol. I'm not saying it to be rude, it's statistically accurate, if you own a trampoline, the chances that your child will break a bone increase exponentially- or suffer concussions, or risk paralysis or muscle damage to the neck- the injuries related directly to the trampoline are quite specifically to the type of play involved.

Quoting Aslen:

YOU are the 1 throwing out the trampoline because of an accident. That shows me that you believe it's the trampoline's fault. not putting words in your mouth, mainly stating the glaringly obvious

Quoting kimsamomof3:

You are just full of it, aren't you? I never said it was the trampolines fault. Glad you are stil putting words in my mouth!

Quoting Aslen:

The last thing I would do is throw it away like the OP stated. Wasn't the trampoline's fault; it wans't anyone's fault.... but I wouldn't get rid of something because a child got a minor injury.... if he tripped over his feet would she get rid of those too? 

Quoting kokyuhomama:

I understand your concern, but I'm inclined to agree with Aslan that accidents happen.  My 11 year old son sprained his ankle a few days ago while playing chase on the lawn with other children.   However, we've had a trampoline, with a net, for over 8

years, and our children have enjoyed it without injury.    We do have a ramp that the

kids walk up on and then they can get in and out of the trampoline

easily.  Ultimately though, you have to make safety choices that match your comfort level.   Our family has accepted that we will take some risks, while ensuring safety the best that we can, and others choose to take few  or even no risks. In any case, here's wishing your ds a speedy recovery, and what a trooper for doing so well at the doctor's office!

Quoting Aslen:

Wow... Accidents happen... Instead of it teaching your child to be more careful, youre teaching him its always someone or something else's fault. Why wasnt there stairs or something?

bhow
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I'm sorry this happened and wouldn't want to go through it but, he could do that walking down the steps, are you going to throw them out too?  My sis in law went all berserk when her kid got hurt on one, why?  The injury he had could have happened walking across a parking lot, or in the mall or at school.  I really do get your worry but it really isn't an injury due to using a trampoline it could happen doing anything. sorry

gotnothinonme
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting bhow:

I'm sorry this happened and wouldn't want to go through it but, he could do that walking down the steps, are you going to throw them out too?  My sis in law went all berserk when her kid got hurt on one, why?  The injury he had could have happened walking across a parking lot, or in the mall or at school.  I really do get your worry but it really isn't an injury due to using a trampoline it could happen doing anything. sorry

lol, I know you ladies don't want to acknowledge it, but this simply isn't true, no he likely would NOT have done the same thing walking down the steps, or getting in the tub, or brushing his hair, there is empirical data that clearly indicates the INCREASED risk of a trampoline specifically- these injuries that occur on trampolines in actual fact most likely WOULD NOT happen if they weren't on trampolines. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't own one or let your kids play on one, but denying the reality of the risk your accepting in doing so is just hard headed and foolish.

stepheylyn05
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Get rid of it. They are the most dangerous toys to own. My sister broke her ankle on ours and my dad gave it away. I was fine with it and came out just great.

Accidents happen every day..but why keep the most dangerous toy to own?

I'm sorry about your son (hugs). Hope he recovers quickly!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN