Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

cleaning with vinegar

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

In an effort to be more "green", and save money as a result, I've stopping buy most house hold cleaners and even things such as laundry detergent and have started making my own. Vinegar is awesome and a very cheap way to get things done. I thought I would share some of my favorite tips. 

Get rid of mildew, dust, and stale odors by wiping down walls with undiluted white distilled vinegar on a cloth or a sponge mop.
Clean wood paneling with a solution of 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar, and 2 cups warm water. Wipe on with a soft cloth.
Make your own scouring cleanser by combining 1/4 cup baking soda with 1 tablespoon liquid detergent. Add just enough white distilled vinegar to give it a thick but creamy texture.
Rinse away soapy film on countertops with a solution of white distilled vinegar and water.

Floor/Carpet:
For an economical and environmentally friendly floor cleaner, mix a solution of 3 drops dishwashing liquid to 1/3 part white distilled vinegar, 1/3 part alcohol, and 1/3 part water. Spray sparingly and mop for a fast clean-up.
Some carpet stains can be removed with a paste of 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup salt or baking soda. Rub into the carpet stain and let dry. Vacuum up the residue the next day. (Always test on an out-of-sight part of the carpet first).
To reduce soap bubbles in a steam cleaner add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar. Use the same amount in the rinse water to remove detergent residue and make carpets stay fresh longer.
Clean up pet accidents by first blotting up the area and then adding a white distilled vinegar-and-water solution. Blot until it is almost dry. Then sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it dry. Vacuum up the residue the next day.

Bathroom:
To remove grime, mildew, and scum from the tub, tile, shower curtain or door, wipe with undiluted white distilled vinegar. Rinse with water.
Get rid of stubborn bathtub film by wiping it with white distilled vinegar and then scouring with baking soda.
Spray shower doors with full-strength white distilled vinegar after you've squeegeed the glass, or before you step in and turn on the water. It will help release the hard water deposits so they don't remain on the glass.
Kill germs all around the bathroom with a spray of full-strength white distilled vinegar. Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Clean shower door tracks by filling them with white distilled vinegar and letting it sit for a few hours. Pour hot water into the tracks and wash and scrub away the scum with a toothbrush.
Deodorize the toilet bowl by allowing 3 cups white distilled vinegar to sit in it for about a half hour before flushing. To make the toilet bowl sparkle, pour in a cup or more of diluted white distilled vinegar and let it sit several hours or overnight. Scrub well with the toilet brush and flush.

Kitchen:
Clean the microwave by mixing 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.
Clean the shelves and walls of the refrigerator with a half-and-half solution of water and white distilled vinegar.
Remove soap buildup and odors from the dishwasher by pouring a cup of white distilled vinegar inside the empty machine and running it through a whole cycle. Do monthly.
Renew sponges and dishrags by placing them in just enough water to cover them. Then add 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar. Let them soak overnight.
Clean your grill by spritzing white distilled vinegar over wadded up aluminum foil and scrubbing the grill vigorously with it.
Wash fresh vegetables with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of white distilled vinegar in 1 ½ quarts of water.

Pets:
Give your dog a gleaming coat by spraying or rubbing with a solution of 1 cup white distilled vinegar to 1 quart water. As a bonus, you save the cost of an expensive shine product used on show animals. 
Remove skunk odors by wiping down the animal with a 50-50 solution of white distilled vinegar and water, followed by a plain-water rinse. Repeat if necessary.
Remove cat litter odor by pouring ½ inch of white distilled vinegar in the empty litter box. Let it stand for 20 minutes, swish it around, then rinse with cold water.
Kill fleas by adding a little white distilled vinegar to your dog or cat's drinking water.
Cats hate the smell of vinegar. If you have a cat that is marking its territory around your house, spray the area with white distilled vinegar then rinse with a hose.

Laundry:
Get stained white socks and dingy dishcloths white again. Add 1 cup white distilled vinegar to a large pot of water, bring it to a rolling boil and drop in the articles. Let soak overnight.
Remove perspiration odor and stains on clothing, as well as those left by deodorants, by spraying full-strength white distilled vinegar on underarm and collar areas before tossing them into the washing machine.

Homemade OxyClean
1 cup water
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
1/2 cup baking soda
Mix together and soak stained laundry in it for 20 minutes to overnight and then wash as usual. Or you can just skip the water and pour the peroxide and baking soda directly into the wash with your laundry soap and wash as usual.

Garden:
Kill weeds and grass growing in unwanted places by pouring full-strength white distilled vinegar on them. This works especially well in crevices and cracks of walkways and driveways.
Eliminate anthills by pouring in white distilled vinegar.
Sanitize outdoor furniture and picnic tables with a cloth soaked in white distilled vinegar.
Preserve cut flowers and liven droopy ones by adding 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar to a quart of water in a vase.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kattu
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Bump!

danie24
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM
We don't buy chemical cleaners.

We clean everything with vinegar :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM
That's my goal! I don't want to buy anything anymore, haha. We're also trying to stop going to the grocery store by canning enough every summer to last through the winter.

Quoting danie24:

We don't buy chemical cleaners.

We clean everything with vinegar :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on May. 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to clean everything with vinegar but some things it leaves an after smell that DH hates. So I only use it on things that don't leave a smell (counter cleaner, carpet cleaner) and when he isn't home.
I like method brand especially the glass cleaner. It's mint, my favorite smell!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Vinegar has no smell when it evaporates. It's all in your head. You can add essential oils to it to make it smell better, though.

Quoting MIA0223:

I used to clean everything with vinegar but some things it leaves an after smell that DH hates. So I only use it on things that don't leave a smell (counter cleaner, carpet cleaner) and when he isn't home.

MIA0223
by Michelle on May. 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Maybe some people are more sensitive to smell than others...
It's not in his head. He smells it. I dont have to tell him I cleaned with it but he knows when he comes home I have! And the oils don't help, tried that too. Lol.

Quoting kattu:

Vinegar has no smell when it evaporates. It's all in your head. You can add essential oils to it to make it smell better, though.

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude when I implied that it was all in his head. I just didn't know how else to put it.

Quoting MIA0223:

It's not in his head. He smells it. I dont have to tell him I cleaned with it but he knows when he comes home I have! And the oils don't help, tried that too. Lol.

Quoting kattu:

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I use vinegar for everything :)

MIA0223
by Michelle on May. 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM
It's ok.
We compromise. I still use it on things that he can't smell. And I use plant based cleaner on what he can!

Quoting kattu:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude when I implied that it was all in his head. I just didn't know how else to put it.

Quoting MIA0223:

Quoting kattu:

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kattu
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I used to use method as well. Have you tried seventh generation? They have some great stuff, too. I like their general disinfectant, it smells like lemon thyme!

Quoting MIA0223:

It's ok.

We compromise. I still use it on things that he can't smell. And I use plant based cleaner on what he can!

Quoting kattu:

Quoting MIA0223:

Quoting kattu:

Quoting MIA0223:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)