Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teen banned from prom over Confederate flag dress

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
  • 17 Replies

MEMPHIS (NBC) -- A high school senior from West Tennessee says she was banned from attending her prom because her dress resembled a Confederate battle flag, WMC-TV in Memphis reported.

"It wasn't done to offend anybody," Texanna Edwards, 18, told the NBC station. "It was done just for the sole fact that I just wanted a rebel flag dress because I thought it was cool."

But officials at Gibson County High School officials in Dyer, Tenn., did not agree with her coolness factor. Principal James Hughes declined comment to WMC.

"He told us y'all have to leave because the dress is inappropriate," Edwards said. She said that last year she wore a camouflage dress to the prom without any objection.

She said she doesn't understand why the dress was banned because students in school wear rebel flag shirts, hats and belt buckles.

"I don't see the point of not letting someone in their one and only prom, senior prom. The year they graduate. Doesn't represent anything bad," student Cody Beasley told WMC-TV.

Gibson County Special School District Superintendent Eddie Pruett, however, said a teacher had warned Edwards months ago that the dress might be inappropriate, The Associated Press reported. Pruett said there have been racial tensions at the school in recent years and the high school principal worried the dress could have caused more, according to the AP.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkie74
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
If students are allowed to wear that type of attire to school then it should have been acceptable for the prom. If the dress code at school didn't allow it then I could understand. I'm siding with the student on this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG2.0
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

She wore that to prom? How trashy. If theyre are racial tensions in the school already, why fuel the fire? Thats just asking for trouble and since it is a school sponsored event then the school has the right to make that decision. If she wants to be an idiot and wear it anyway, then thats on her.

Punkie74
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM
If there are racial tensions in the school and they feel the confederate flag fuels that they should ban it as part of the school dress code not make the decision at the door to the prom.

Quoting TAG2.0:

She wore that to prom? How trashy. If theyre are racial tensions in the school already, why fuel the fire? Thats just asking for trouble and since it is a school sponsored event then the school has the right to make that decision. If she wants to be an idiot and wear it anyway, then thats on her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG2.0
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Quoting Punkie74:

If there are racial tensions in the school and they feel the confederate flag fuels that they should ban it as part of the school dress code not make the decision at the door to the prom.

Quoting TAG2.0:

Where does it say the school lets kids wear that attire?

danie24
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
What an ugly dress!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orcadarwin
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

While I don't see it as a prom dress, I am on her side.  If the kids can wear things with the Confederate Flag on them to school, then the prom should be no different.  

Punkie74
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:49 PM
In the article.... "She said she doesn't understand why the dress was banned because students in school wear rebel flag shirts, hats and belt buckles."

Quoting TAG2.0:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting TAG2.0:

Where does it say the school lets kids wear that attire?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovelyBugs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM

makes no sense to me...have you seen some of the slutty dresses girls are wearing now a days and they have an issue with this...if it isnt banned from the school dress code then why turn her away...hats and belts and things such as that are okay but this was too much?

onethentwins
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Good!

silvercrow
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

She says they do doesn't mean they do.. your talking the girls word as if its 110% correct.. Is it true we don't know but if there were racial tensions i doubt what she said is true she just wants her 5minutes of fame

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)