Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Teen banned from prom over Confederate flag dress

Posted by   + Show Post

MEMPHIS (NBC) -- A high school senior from West Tennessee says she was banned from attending her prom because her dress resembled a Confederate battle flag, WMC-TV in Memphis reported.

"It wasn't done to offend anybody," Texanna Edwards, 18, told the NBC station. "It was done just for the sole fact that I just wanted a rebel flag dress because I thought it was cool."

But officials at Gibson County High School officials in Dyer, Tenn., did not agree with her coolness factor. Principal James Hughes declined comment to WMC.

"He told us y'all have to leave because the dress is inappropriate," Edwards said. She said that last year she wore a camouflage dress to the prom without any objection.

She said she doesn't understand why the dress was banned because students in school wear rebel flag shirts, hats and belt buckles.

"I don't see the point of not letting someone in their one and only prom, senior prom. The year they graduate. Doesn't represent anything bad," student Cody Beasley told WMC-TV.

Gibson County Special School District Superintendent Eddie Pruett, however, said a teacher had warned Edwards months ago that the dress might be inappropriate, The Associated Press reported. Pruett said there have been racial tensions at the school in recent years and the high school principal worried the dress could have caused more, according to the AP.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Replies (11-17):
AngeLnChainZ
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:59 PM

But yet it's perfectly acceptable to go looking like a call girl wearing next to nothing..

longhorngal
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

There was a girl at my son's high school that wore a confederate flag dress this year.  I'm surprised they let her in.  Her date had a confederate flag belt buckle as well.

Barabell
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Well, I would be concerned about the school's quality of education IF a lot of the senior students do not understand why the flag could be viewed upon negatively and they really are wearing the flag often to school.

TAG2.0
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I would like to hear from the school on that one. Just because they wore it, doesnt mean they were not penalized for doing so. I know my school used to take those things away or give detention.

Quoting Punkie74:

In the article.... "She said she doesn't understand why the dress was banned because students in school wear rebel flag shirts, hats and belt buckles."

Punkie74
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:34 PM
If it was against school policy wouldn't the superintendent have made that statement when questioned? Instead he said a teacher said it could be an issue. I only side with the student on this because (at least from what I gather from the article) it suddenly became a issue at the door to the prom but there is no policy in place at the school. Why choose to ruin the girls prom when other students are permitted to wear the symbol? The school board needs to institute a policy not prevent a girl from attending prom by suddenly deeming it inappropriate.

Quoting TAG2.0:

I would like to hear from the school on that one. Just because they wore it, doesnt mean they were not penalized for doing so. I know my school used to take those things away or give detention.

Quoting Punkie74:

In the article.... "She said she doesn't understand why the dress was banned because students in school wear rebel flag shirts, hats and belt buckles."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TAG2.0
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Quoting Punkie74:

If it was against school policy wouldn't the superintendent have made that statement when questioned? Instead he said a teacher said it could be an issue. I only side with the student on this because (at least from what I gather from the article) it suddenly became a issue at the door to the prom but there is no policy in place at the school. Why choose to ruin the girls prom when other students are permitted to wear the symbol? The school board needs to institute a policy not prevent a girl from attending prom by suddenly deeming it inappropriate.

Quoting TAG2.0:

Quoting Punkie74:

Gibson County Special School District Superintendent Eddie Pruett, however, said a teacher had warned Edwards months ago that the dress might be inappropriate,

She was told months ago that the dress would be innapropriate and she made the judgement call to wear it anyway. This is the problem I have with teens anyway, they dont have hindsight and they suck at making the right decsions. If she really wanted to attend prom, she wouldve worn a regular dress and not that trashy looking rag shes wearing in the picture. I wouldnt let her in my prom either, that dress does not even loo classy, it screams trailer barbie.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM
That is NOT a prom dress. It looks like something i could sew.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN