Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Hypnotized Woman Hands Over $160K and Jewels To Thieves

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:42 AM
  • 3 Replies

The Boston Police Department is warning citizens in the Asian community of a scam that appears to be targeting elderly victims. In once case, the victim told police she was hypnotized and handed handed over $160-thousand-dollars in cash and jewelry.

Police have received one report of an elderly victim being approached by Asian females in the Chinatown area and scammed into surrendering valuables to the suspects.Investigators have also received information that similar scams have occurred in other areas of the country, including New York City.On Monday, April 16, officers interviewed a woman who said she was approached by three Asian female while walking in Chinatown. One of the suspects tapped the victim on the shoulder. The victim said the suspect spoke to her in Cantonese for about five minutes and asked questions about the victim’s family.The victim told police that the suspects hypnotized her, even though she had not agreed to be hypnotized.Afterward, the victim returned to her home with a plastic bag which was handed to her by one of the three suspects. She retrieved all of her valuables which included jewelry and $160,000.00 in US Currency.The victim placed the valuables in the plastic bag and handed over the plastic bag to the three suspects in the area of the Boston Common near Province Street.The females are described as Asian, between 30-40 years old, between 5’ feet and 5 inches, and between 110 pounds to 135 pounds.The Boston Police Department encourages individuals who have further information regarding this incident or a similar incident to please contact the District A-1 detectives at 617-343-4571 or 911. The BPD has detectives available who are fluent in Chinese and other Asian dialects.Community members wishing to assist this investigation anonymously can do so by calling the CrimeStoppers Tip Line at 1(800) 494-TIPS or texting the word ‘TIP’ to CRIME (27463). The Boston Police Department will stringently guard and protect the identities of those who wish to remain anonymous.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TateTwo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I saw an old lady in the post office the other day carrying a wad of money (rolled up nicely) in a gallon freezer bag with a few other items.  I kid you not.  It must have been a lot of it (I saw the top bill as a $100 bill) because the wad was bigger than my own hand. 

I don't get how older people keep their money in baggies.

WesternNYmom
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandmother used to carry large amounts of cash on her. Every 2 weeks she would go to the bank and cash a check for $500.  She would walk out of the bank with the wad in her hand, like it was nothing.  I was so worried about her getting robbed that I boldly stated that she needed to put her money away before we left. When she looked at me confused, I stated that even though we are in a nice area of town, that it wasn't safe to be seen with large amounts of money.  I also suggested to my mother to try to convince my grandmother to get a debit card.  It took a few years, but she eventually gave in. I refuse to keep more than $40 in cash on me, unless I am going to a store that won't take anything, but cash. And even then $100 is my limit.  It is not safe to carry wads of money anymore.

Quoting TateTwo:

I saw an old lady in the post office the other day carrying a wad of money (rolled up nicely) in a gallon freezer bag with a few other items.  I kid you not.  It must have been a lot of it (I saw the top bill as a $100 bill) because the wad was bigger than my own hand. 

TateTwo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I don't carry cash on me anymore because it seems everywhere I go here (even in my own neighborhood), panhandlers want money.  They won't take food - just money.  I've gotten into the habit of telling them "sorry, I only use plastic."  I carry maybe a couple of dollars on me at any given time.

Quoting WesternNYmom:

My grandmother used to carry large amounts of cash on her. Every 2 weeks she would go to the bank and cash a check for $500.  She would walk out of the bank with the wad in her hand, like it was nothing.  I was so worried about her getting robbed that I boldly stated that she needed to put her money away before we left. When she looked at me confused, I stated that even though we are in a nice area of town, that it wasn't safe to be seen with large amounts of money.  I also suggested to my mother to try to convince my grandmother to get a debit card.  It took a few years, but she eventually gave in. I refuse to keep more than $40 in cash on me, unless I am going to a store that won't take anything, but cash. And even then $100 is my limit.  It is not safe to carry wads of money anymore.

Quoting TateTwo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)