Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you saw a group of humongous sea creatures swimming in your general direction?

Cafe Steph
Today at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Manatees Make a Huge Splash With Shocked Swimmers (VIDEO)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on May 8, 2012 

manatees beachOkay, I get that manatees are friendly. They don't call 'em "gentle giants" for nothing. (The term "sea cow" doesn't exactly inspire terror, either.) But still. If you were hanging out at the beach and suddenly saw a group of manatees swimming toward you, wouldn't you maybe get out of the water as fast as possible?!

Not these swimmers, apparently. Because when a group of 5 or 6 manatees joined sunbathers in the shallow waters at Fort Lauderdale Beach on Sunday, there was no Jaws-style retreat. No mad dash for land.

Maybe they somehow knew the mass of dark unidentified something coming closer and and closer was a harmless manatee convention?

Admittedly, my eyes aren't the greatest, but the first time I watched this video the approaching manatee blob looked more like some sci-fi sea mutant. (Hey -- oil spills, radiation ... it could happen!)

Happily, that wasn't the case. Just a buncha chilled out sea cows.

Seriously though, watch this and tell me:

What would you do if you saw a group of humongous sea creatures swimming in your general direction?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

If they were just manatees I would just be clicking away with my camera and couldn't wait to touch them.

jillbailey26
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Manatees?  I'd love it!

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

katzmeow726
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Ditto! It would be an amazing experience to capture on film

Quoting EireLass:

If they were just manatees I would just be clicking away with my camera and couldn't wait to touch them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saille717
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I would love to have been there!  How awesome!  No, I wouldn't run out of the water....folks know what they are when they live near the ocean like that.  

ForeverInLove
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

That was awesome!

I don't know what I do would do in tht situation, but mostly because it's not soething I see everyday.

That was really amazing though! They were just trying to get some sun too!

bmw29
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM
So cool! I would have loved to have been there although the whistle blowing life guard was annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

At first I would have grabbed my kids and ran to shore.  But after figuring out what they were I would go and get pictures.

Honestly, the man in the speedo scares me more than the manatees, lol.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on May. 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I would have had no issues.

Marimaru
by Sarah Joy on May. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I have to imagine that people knew what they were before the filming started.  I might have wondered at first, but from the vantage point of the water, probably you could tell, if you have ever seen manatees before.

Connie04
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I would love it and couldn't wait to touch one!!!  I wonder, though, do they usually come that close to the beach?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)