Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do if you saw a group of humongous sea creatures swimming in your general direction?

Posted by   + Show Post

Manatees Make a Huge Splash With Shocked Swimmers (VIDEO)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on May 8, 2012 

manatees beachOkay, I get that manatees are friendly. They don't call 'em "gentle giants" for nothing. (The term "sea cow" doesn't exactly inspire terror, either.) But still. If you were hanging out at the beach and suddenly saw a group of manatees swimming toward you, wouldn't you maybe get out of the water as fast as possible?!

Not these swimmers, apparently. Because when a group of 5 or 6 manatees joined sunbathers in the shallow waters at Fort Lauderdale Beach on Sunday, there was no Jaws-style retreat. No mad dash for land.

Maybe they somehow knew the mass of dark unidentified something coming closer and and closer was a harmless manatee convention?

Admittedly, my eyes aren't the greatest, but the first time I watched this video the approaching manatee blob looked more like some sci-fi sea mutant. (Hey -- oil spills, radiation ... it could happen!)

Happily, that wasn't the case. Just a buncha chilled out sea cows.

Seriously though, watch this and tell me:

What would you do if you saw a group of humongous sea creatures swimming in your general direction?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Replies (11-16):
Elyssa414
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
That's awesome
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

BAHAHAHAHA... you should know... You are Sandy Squirrel... from Spongebob!!

Quoting Connie04:

I would love it and couldn't wait to touch one!!!  I wonder, though, do they usually come that close to the beach?

ilovemykids732
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

about 3 minutes 5 seconds into the video a little kid said aww, they are breeding, look they are mating... and a guy says 'More like gang banging' I think I nearly died laughing...

Connie04
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm not actually Sandy Squirrel - lol!!

Quoting ilovemykids732:

BAHAHAHAHA... you should know... You are Sandy Squirrel... from Spongebob!!

Quoting Connie04:

I would love it and couldn't wait to touch one!!!  I wonder, though, do they usually come that close to the beach?

Teeshann
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:17 AM

i think i'd have a panic attack. i'm terrified of the ocean. LOL. and that's why. because if something in the water wanted to get me it would be a lot faster than i could ever be.

after i learned it was just manatees i'd be able to calm down but if you couldn't tell what it was at first i'd be running for my life.

angelenia
by on May. 10, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Panic. Get out of the water. Change my now soiled bathing suit. Then go play with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)