Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you trust more?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
Checking in bags or putting everything in a big box and shipping it to your destination?
We are traveling next month and I'm not sure what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saille717
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

If I were going somewhere for a length of time I'd bring carry on bags with the necessities on it, and ship everything else UPS to my destination.  Cheaper, less likely to be lost, etc.  

nodramamama311
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM
That's what my husband says. Not taking anything on the plane except what things my kids want in their backpacks. We are visiting my sister and I don't need to bring shampoo and stuff like that. She said I could use hers and she has 3 kids so they have plenty of kids stuff. I love my family!

Quoting Saille717:

If I were going somewhere for a length of time I'd bring carry on bags with the necessities on it, and ship everything else UPS to my destination.  Cheaper, less likely to be lost, etc.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I check my bag.  Depends on how much stuff you are talking though.

I have had shipped items permanently lost, but I have never had luggage permanently lost.  I've had it not show up when I did and they had to bring it to me the next day.

Barabell
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

How long is your vacation and how many people are going?

Usually I try to do everything carry-on. If it's just me and my son, that means 2 larger carry on bags and 2 backpack (and I just fit my purse into one of the backpacks. If I need extra toiletries, I just buy it at my destination.

jerzeetomato
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

More and more people recommend shipping UPS since the baggage charges are getting so high, and UPS is so dependable, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route.

nodramamama311
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
3 of us for 3 weeks.

Quoting Barabell:

Usually I try to do everything carry-on. If it's just me and my son, that means 2 larger carry on bags and 2 backpack (and I just fit my purse into one of the backpacks. If I need extra toiletries, I just buy it at my destination.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhow
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

carry personals/meds/atleast one days change of clothing...clean undies/socks/shirt.  ship the rest.

Barabell
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

That really is too long to do carry on I guess.

I would trust UPS with shipping my stuff as much as the airlines. Through my life insurance though, I get free insurance coverage for airline baggage, and so I'd probably go that route. If I didn't have the free baggage coverage, I'd probably just choose the cheaper of the two options.

Quoting nodramamama311:

3 of us for 3 weeks.

Quoting Barabell:

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Do you have to make a connection?  How many?  How long is your layover if you have one?  If your layover is 2 hours check your luggage.  I fly a lot and have gotten my bags late only 3-4 times.  They are on the next flight usually if they miss the flight.  Always take a carry on with essentials, expensive things etc. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Shipping is expensive and they may get lost. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN